ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artrage 4 just crashed, can I restore my work ?

Exclamation Artrage 4 just crashed, can I restore my work ?

Hi!

I was using a stencil on a new artrage painting when Artrage crashed suddenly.
    I spent hours on this painting and it's really difficult to admit that it can be lost for good :S

Artrage restarts and opens a blank canva...

Can you tell me please if there's any way to restore my work ?

Many thanks!
    You can join me on facebook : Frederique.Patiences

Not saved? Awful, but it won't be there. So sad because your work is wonderful!

Move on and start again! It happened to me last week.

There's a chance that AR tried to save the image before shutting down in the crash. Look for a file named something like "ARRestart". They've usually shown up in my AppData folder, on the rare occasions I've experienced a crash. I'm using Windows Vista though, so no guarantees that's where you'd find it on your system.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks to you two!

Too bad, there was no ARRestart file anywhere...
    So, I started my work from the very beginning (thank you Copespeak, your comments encourages me!)
    I hope I won't have any regret

It's quite frustrating but, now, I've activated the AR automatic backup
    Last edited by Frederieke; 12-27-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Automatic backup? You mean the "Store Backup Files" option? I don't believe ArtRage does that automatically. It's just a system that allows you to quickly click the "Save" option (or hot key for it), to save an iteration of your work (labeling them with lettered extensions). The user still has to make the decision to take a moment, every so often, and let ArtRage save the work.

I don't know how it is labelled in English but it created a file with ".ptgback" extension.
    Wait, I will open AR in English... You're right, it's the "Store Backup Files" option ("Enregistrer les fichiers de sauvegarde" in French).
    I really thought it makes automatic backups...

If I understand what you mean, it just helps to go back to a certain point/stage of a painting, right? So it's quite the same as doing several "save as" actions, is that it?

(I'm really sorry for my broken English, hope you understand me...)

Quote Originally Posted by Frederieke View Post
    If I understand what you mean, it just helps to go back to a certain point/stage of a painting, right? So it's quite the same as doing several "save as" actions, is that it?
    Yes and no. If you have the option to save to 26 iterations, it'll eventually create 26 different stages of your image (like: "mypainting_GenA.ptgback", "mypainting_GenB.ptgback", "mypainting_GenC.ptgback", etc). Though you can set the amount of different saves you'd like to have. So if you set the option down to only 1, the first time you save a painting using the "Save Painting" option, AR will create a new save (as it normally would). After you've done more work on the image, if you use the "Save Painting" option again, AR will then change your last saved version of the image to an iteration of the .ptgback, and make the new save your main .ptg file. But having set the option to "1", the program will never make more then a single .ptgback file. Personally, I keep the option set to 26.

It's just a mater of remembering to save often (I use a hot key, to make it easier). AR uses a lot of resources keeping track of the 3d light source, paint thickness, etc, so having an automatic update would be cumbersome, since it'd undoubtedly stop your progress during the save.

Thank you very much for such a complete answer, it really helps me to understand how this option works! I get it!
    I really appreciate the time you spent explaining me that.

No problem. Hope you have better luck with your next AR project

Vraiment désolé de ce qui vous est arrivé!
    Vraiment profiter de votre travail ....
    Je sauve tous les nouveaux projets sur un "Memory Stick"
    Chaque nouveau projet est enregistré dans un dossier sur la carte mémoire, ainsi, sauver tous les vingt ou trente minutes!
    Puis enregistrez le projet sur ​​le Memory Stick
    quand je m'arrête peinture!
    Cela m'est arrivé il ya quelques mois!
    J'ai appris, ne ne font pas confiance pas l'ordinateur ou système d'exploitation
    à la dure!
    Alors attachez-vous et allez-y!
    Je veux voir la nouvelle peinture!
    Take Care,
    Steve

Truly sorry this happened to you!
    Really enjoy viewing you work....
    I save all new paintings to 'Memory Sticks'
    Every new project is saved to a folder on the stick, updating while
    I go! Also got into the habit of saving every twenty or thirty minutes!
    Then, absolutly saving project, all reference materials, everything to the memory stick
    when I shut down!
    Happened to me a few months back!
    I learned, don't trust the computer or the operating system
    the hard way!
    So, buckle up and get going!
    I want to see the new painting!
    Take Care,
    Steve
    Last edited by stevemawmv; 12-29-2013 at 08:28 AM.