ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter moss

Winter moss

... in the misty Pacific Northwest ... iPhone AR pencil in dissolve mode ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    xiěy, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Hi Alexandra, the browns and greens and greys against tree and stone are soothing to the eye ... I was drawing birds and noticed what I thought was a shadow on moss actually was a living thing in the form of a tiny feathered friend ... Btw, did you find the tree sprite in the middle of the picture above center?
    Artrage Gallery

Smile

Nice textures, you could also use it as a backdrop for future drawings too?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Niloc View Post
    Nice textures, you could also use it as a backdrop for future drawings too?
    It's a good thought, Niloc, thanks ... Sometimes it's a matter of surface and depth, background and foreground, as Macbeth discovered when the trees of Birnam Wood rose up against him ...

As the mists lifted, a different light illuminated the scene ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chinapete; 12-27-2013 at 03:32 AM.
    Artrage Gallery

Hi Pete,
    Think I'm making out the feathered friend, for the tree sprite, my mind's eye formed a face, top center-above middle!
    But, with my eyes, I'm seeing faces forming most everywhere, time for my glasses prescription update!
    Also, time to get back to the 'day after cleanup'.
    Happy Holidays and take care!
    Steve

Current strain:http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...favorite-model

Kinda nice Pete. I had to wait until dark to see the top one, so the one on the bottom was nicely illuminated. Yes, Steve, I can see a set of eyes up top too!

Boss that moss!

For me, looking in from the outside, it's not about getting a natural representation as much as using it as a springboard for laying down paint. . . unless it isn't, heh. But that's what I would be doing were I doing what you are. I would be using a lot of this stuff as a starter like a pinch of yeast in bread. But if you're still aiming toward the 'unified field theory' in Art, then you're on your way in a rather rarefied place. So on that path, it seems that the road less traveled is the road most traveled since everybody uses it. But to get to the unified field, I would think one would have to go a lot deeper elementally to where it's almost devoid of anything other than that 'stuff' of creation. Personally, I like using it a lot closer in where it's already differentiated and familiar and thus having it being about what I'm saying and letting that be 'new' or not.

I applaud your intention. Personally this is not my favorite to look at. But if it's a step on your journey it's very useful. For me to be interested it has to grab me somehow. When all else fails, I think it might stand on looking cool. That may be something to include. To me it's like the Hubble images. The concept is incredibly cool across the board when one can add in the notion about what it represents that we can even see it. But some of it is actually really amazing to see. And I'm not sure that some of those mind blowing images haven't been somehow enhanced with color tweaking and so on. It fits with my concept of grandiosity so I'm cool with that. They're trying to get people on board with space exploration and haven't really changed any of the important elements (and I don't know that they enhanced anything. It might actually look like that. But, I'm guessing they did.) My point is that at some point it's not a bad thing to turn it into something visually more compelling for the purposes of showing it to the world rather than to a scientist.

But you go man go!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

before there is anything
    the darkness thinking the light

W. S. Merwin, "Any Time"

Some people collect seashells, or coins, or butterflies ... I collect images ... I put them in a memory chamber where they sort themselves into easy categories, light, dark, black, red, blue, green, and so on ... The lock to the chamber is a poor memory and the key is a rich association ...

The very American poet W.S. Merwin is admired in China ... I have two of his volumes translated into Chinese ... His vocabulary is simple, the images are not difficult, and yet a deeper meaning somehow magically has been woven into the text ... I think of him as a nature poet, a dying breed ...

I don't often include the literary references behind my paintings, a work of art should stand on its own, or so we are told ... We want our paintings to veer toward realism, then words aren't needed, interpretation is self-evident ... When we are able to grasp the reality behind the image, we feel we have license to experience some sort of emotion ... We call this "art appreciation" ... Light on an object illuminates the object for all to see, we see it and we are satisfied ...

空山不见人,但闻人语响。
    返景入深林,复照青苔上。
    "deep woods, late light on moss"
    Wang Wei (8th c.), "Deer Park"

J.M.W. Turner produced many large paintings on historical themes ... The titles he gave them often do not track back to the content, at least not fully, his sunlight told a better story ... And he wrote a great deal of poetry, or at least words he arranged in rows to resemble poetic lines ... He used words as daubs of paint, he placed them side by side without regard to syntax ... The poems and their intent remain indecipherable ...

If it looks like an orange, has the form and color of an orange, then that is what it is ... If the eyes and mouth and nose are aligned, then it must be a portrait ... Anything that deviates from this mapping of image to reality is considered "abstract" ... Or, worse, as simply a very bad drawing or painting ... (There is a deep connection in the popular mind between poorly executed art and abstraction, but the two are very different, although it is hard to say exactly why this is so) ...

Even though we live in a painting culture that artificially separates words and images, most paintings come with words: we demand they be given titles ... "Untitled" is a disappointment, it implies too much freedom, it points the viewer in too many directions and suggests the artist doesn't know what s/he's done ... A few years ago I posted about the problem of titling a painting, I said that most paintings on this forum are misnamed ... I meant that if someone paints an orange in the style of realism and calls it an orange, the label somehow feels incomplete ... How many ways can we illuminate an orange? ... I don't mean there should be fifty-one shades of grey, fifty seems enough, but shouldn't there be something more than reality itself at work in the painting? But can we draw inspiration from oranges alone? Shouldn't there be a cockatoo too? ...

.... late
    Coffee and oranges in a sunny chair,
    And the green freedom of a cockatoo

Wallace Stevens, "Sunday Morning"

So it is with "Winter Moss" ... It's not abstract, it's not realism, it's a kind of freedom ...
    Last edited by chinapete; 12-29-2013 at 04:33 AM.
    Artrage Gallery

Intriguing. Your words intrigue me. And the post I'm responding to should be the title. To use an accounting analogy, there seems to be an above the line title and a below the line title. There are different ways of looking at what constitutes above the line and below. But in the most basic tallying process, we can say that the sum could be the formal title, and all the stuff that gets figured in is above the line or what you said in this latest post.

In Douglas Adams' brilliant and witty Hitchhiker's Guide, the planet Earth was simply an organic calculator to come up with the ultimate answer to the ultimate question. I don't think I'm giving anything away that is not in the popular lexicon anymore, but the answer was a single number = 42. To me that describes the process when context is removed entirely. 42 doesn't give me anything really. I'm not sure it even begs the question more than 'What are you getting at?'.

I don't mean this to be insulting. It's more trying to put words to my experience. But saying 42 is like using a burp describing a sumptuous meal. I personally prefer to experience the meal. There's a world of experience, flavors, smells, nutrition, knowledge of foods and spices, the growing and selecting, washing the earth from it, the shape and texture, the artistic plating or not, how the food pleases me or not, if I'm eating with others, how hungry I was, what was the atmosphere when eating, was I alone or with others, was there a wonderful conversation happening etc etc etc. None of which seems to be making the cut to be communicated.

And a burp somehow doesn't quite offer me anything I want. It's so ambiguous that all it really tells me is that one had an air bubble come up. All else is extrapolation. And depending on the burp, I may or may not be interested in putting my energy into deciphering a meal someone else had. It's way to exclusive and my curiosity is not piqued because my experience of my own burping doesn't even interest me.

The post you put there is fascinating by comparison. It communicates.

Anyway, there is a heck of a lot of Artistic expression that fits into that category for me. But had I been there at the meal, I might understand and a burp would say it all, would sum it up. But if I wasn't there and the artist is not trying to include me, it's sometimes considered rude, or exclusionary. And without comment, it could leave people with a feeling that the person has no interest in what the world thinks. Though we might suspect because of their artistic leavings, they really do care.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream