ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy/medieval paintings

Fantasy/medieval paintings

Hello everyone! just joined the forum so its my first post. Started using artrage maybe 4-5 months ago, and love it. I mainly use oil brush, palette knife and paint tube. I paint fantasy and medieval stuff for the most time. You can also find me at sigbjornpedersen.deviantart.com
    heres my newest artrage paintings oldest at the bottom newest on top:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dragon_battle_by_sigbjornpedersen-d6xox26.jpg 
Views:	914 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	78606

Name:	the_fourth_horseman_of_the_apocalypse_by_sigbjornpedersen-d6l75lo.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	78607

Name:	eddard_stark_by_sigbjorn_pedersen_by_sigbjornpedersen-d6iqdeh.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	350.5 KB 
ID:	78608

The lasts one is a fan art based on a screen picture I took when watching the tv series Game of Thrones, except for the sword and background wich is my own design.
    The number two is ment to be one of the four horsemen, death. used reference picture on horse, its not perfect but im very happy with the result.
    Newest one, the dragon painting I made is probably my favourite painting I have made so far, no references.

So enjoy, and critics are welcome as well as tips about how to get better!

I will add new paintings to this thread once in a while.
    Last edited by Sigbjornpederssen; 12-28-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Fantasy and drama. Love the combination. I think you should be well proud of these. They're complex and yet read very well.

I only make this comment because you asked not because it bothers me. It's for consideration only as something to bear in mind later.

The Death rider one is great. I love the overall. What is challenging my enjoyment a little is that the light at the top is very eye-pulling. The eye naturally goes to the area of most contrast. And here the area of most contrast is at the very top edge of your painting and it's an effort to come back and look at the areas that are comparatively subtle.

There can be arguments made about the idea of Death sneaking around where we're not looking, and so on. But the question is whether that translates into visual sense on the page, or does it just pull the viewer out of your story.

As to strategy when constructing a picture that tells a story that gives the artist a choice between putting the viewer into the picture as if they are seeing what the main character is seeing with all their limitations or do they have what's known as 'audience omniscience' in which the audience knows everything which is useful as for example when you want to show that the main character is going to be surprised and we choose to show what is about to happen to them for dramatic tension, whether they know it yet or not.

So for example if there's a situation where the character is in a dark cave and they can't hardly see because it's so dark, does one make a picture that's very hard to see anything (in which case you have a rather pointless picture)? Or does the artist still show the audience everything in a dramatic way and indicate that the main character is not seeing everything.

Anyway, as to use of lights and darks, I personally think that the hierarchy of information in a painting should be chosen and presented to the audience as they roam around the painting. Many of the fantasy illustrators would light the sky behind the Death figure to maximize the power and in-your-face menace of the character and draw the eye to that. Lighting is one of the primary tools we have as artists.

But that does not mean that this picture is not good. It's great. I'm just offering a way to show off your great work to quicker advantage.

I'm looking at your pic on a Mac and the difference between that and PCs is significant, and monitors vary. So it might read clearer on your computer than mine. But still, my comment could be something to use under most all circumstances.

I love these, and I think that dragon one with the fire and the figures is brilliant. And I think the Brothers Hildebrandt (the early illustrators of Tolkien's work) would sense a kindred spirit in you.

Well done indeed!!!!
    Last edited by D Akey; 12-26-2013 at 06:13 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

great job! well done I love It!

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    What is challenging my enjoyment a little is that the light at the top is very eye-pulling. The eye naturally goes to the area of most contrast. And here the area of most contrast is at the very top edge of your painting and it's an effort to come back and look at the areas that are comparatively subtle.

There can be arguments made about the idea of Death sneaking around where we're not looking, and so on. But the question is whether that translates into visual sense on the page, or does it just pull the viewer out of your story.

As to strategy when constructing a picture that tells a story that gives the artist a choice between putting the viewer into the picture as if they are seeing what the main character is seeing with all their limitations or do they have what's known as 'audience omniscience' in which the audience knows everything which is useful as for example when you want to show that the main character is going to be surprised and we choose to show what is about to happen to them for dramatic tension, whether they know it yet or not.

So for example if there's a situation where the character is in a dark cave and they can't hardly see because it's so dark, does one make a picture that's very hard to see anything (in which case you have a rather pointless picture)? Or does the artist still show the audience everything in a dramatic way and indicate that the main character is not seeing everything.

Anyway, as to use of lights and darks, I personally think that the hierarchy of information in a painting should be chosen and presented to the audience as they roam around the painting. Many of the fantasy illustrators would light the sky behind the Death figure to maximize the power and in-your-face menace of the character and draw the eye to that. Lighting is one of the primary tools we have as artists.

But that does not mean that this picture is not good. It's great. I'm just offering a way to show off your great work to quicker advantage.
    I really appreciate that you took your time with to write all this. Yeah I agree with you on the rider painting, and youre completely right it is distracting with the bright light up top it takes too much attention. I was thiking about several ways to do the painting before it ended up like this one, including more light directly around the rider as you said, but sometimes I struggle alittle with that sort of thing, keeping a certain type of atmosphere I want and at the same time have the viewer focus on the right places. I believe im slowly getting better at it. If I repaint it one day I will do it as you suggested you gave me some great mind pictures about how I could have painted it when I read your post.

Thank you very much for your good advice and kind words, its really appreciated!

Smile Welcome

Great entrance to the forum, dynamic styling, I really like it

Three fabulous paintings .... beautiful rendered. Yes, the bright light could be reduced somewhat ... maybe smaller and not so bright/ perhaps a bit more light edge around the rider/ maybe move the light across to the left? I don't care, they're all wonderful!!

Great job, and welcome.

Best,

Weeks

Thank you very much everyone. copespeak, yeah I should have done that, if I were to repaint it now I would add alot more light around the rider, maybe some extra smoke/fog and remove the high contrasts inthe sky. I see the things I should have done differently everytime I look at the painting now, kinda annoys me, haha. I will probably fix it one day, maybe in a year or something I have so much other things I want to paint first.

A new painting I finished today, this is how I imagine the wights, From G.R.R.Ms book series " A song of ice and fire"

Name:	Wights by sigbjornpedersen.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	78630

Welcome Sigbjorn!

You got me hooked, at the 'Game of Thrones' artwork!
    Very well done!...Love the books and the series!
    All four are fantastic paintings on the own rights, great job!
    Take Care,
    Steve

My humble paintings:http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...HAPPY-HOLIDAYS!)