ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portrait - "You have ghosts?"

Portrait - "You have ghosts?"

Hi, this is my latest portrait (Artrage 4)
    Hope you'll enjoy it

The quote is from "Everything is illuminated" by Jonathan Safran Foer
    Name:  1477475_613235615409767_1093920003_n.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  76.6 KB

don't hesitate to tell me if you see something to change / to be improved...
    Thank you !

IMHO its doesnt need anything changing. It is a thought provoking, great painting. I read the words in the background and then looked at her and the thought she is thinking shine through. Great work
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Thank you very much !

By the way, I think it will be more readable if I give you the quote here :
    (You have ghosts ?)
    (Of course I have ghosts.)
    (What are your ghosts like ?)
    (They are on the insides of the lids of my eyes.)
    (This is also where my ghosts reside.)
    (You have ghosts ?)
    (Of course I have ghosts.)
    (But you are a child.)
    (I am not a child.)
    (But you have not known love.)
    (These are my ghosts, the spaces amid love.)

Beautiful! I mentioned before Pre-Raphaelite on the other painting you did "Lying". But your faces are more beautiful and classical, more French in a way than English where the women are less idealized. But this one is now reminding me more of Parisian graphics from the turn of the last century as for example with Mucha. I have always loved the style and yours is fantastic. The women are beautiful and that is key to this graphic kind of look. She is idealized which reminds me very much of the look of certain styles of French art of that era.

Were I to suggest something, I might make the jaw line less strong going up that high into the hair. The contrast there pulls the eye to a less significant area of the image and I don't know if that serves such a beautiful graphic. It's a minor comment, but since you asked, that is my comment there.

As to the rest, I love the colors you chose against the line. It's a brilliant compliment. Overall warm. I think the stylization of the rhythm of the hair is superb. The mood is demure and introspective and the text is provocative and creates a mystery because it feels so purposeful and revealing of character.

Brilliant.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thank you very much for this very rewarding comment! I'll watch that Mucha painted (I have a few gaps in the history of art).
    & you're probably right about the thickness of the pencil under the jaw ...

Thanks anew

This is very nicely done. I'm glad you posted the poem. I didn't notice it until someone mentioned it was there. I agree with D Akey about your choice of colors. Very nice portrait.

Beautiful image, indeed!
    Has an innocence of youth portrayed within it, but with a hint of shyness being revealed.
    Very well done!
    Take Care,
    Steve

My Paintings: http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...586-Stevemawmv

A beautiful portrait indeed. Just that little bit stylised, which I love. Great colours and amazing light!

Wait D Akey! I'm the Pre-Raphaelite expert here! Frederieke, I like it! I like your graphic style! Proportions and shadows are masterfully done. Since you asked here's what I don't like: words and paint are two different languages and the way I see they don't mix very well together (with the exception of comic books...), let your paintings speak!!

I'm glad you felt free to give your point of view . I think it was the first time I mixed painting and words...
    This quote sounds beautiful to me and I feel like it "enrich" the expression of this young woman's face. I mean, she is not just pretty, not only pretty

Thank you very much for taking the time to show your interest !