ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Maximum canvas size in 3.5.11 Pro Version

Maximum canvas size in 3.5.11 Pro Version

Hey all,
    as I saw another post here that someone have problems with really big canvas size,
    but all the questions are not answered, I want to ask finally again about the
    maximum of the canvas size for ARTRGE 3.5.11 Pro Version on WIN 7 64 Bit with 16GB RAM
    or on WIN XP 32Bit with 3GB of RAM

I search in the forum and some answers are: it depends on how you much RAM you have...

I tryed to make a CANVAS SIZE of 21260 x 7087 Pixel with 200DPI,
    thats about 180 x 60cm

But ArtRAge says "Not enough memory"

I try 21000x7000 with 72 DPI - not possible
    I try 18000x6000 with 72 DPI - not possible

I try 15000x5000 with 72 DPI - possible

So my questions:
    1) maximun Pixel size in ArtRage Version 3.5.11 and in the newest Version 4.x.x ?
    2) Is there a ArtRage Version which supports all the RAM I have like Photoshop? What about Version 4?

Kind regards
    chris and Leni

Hi and welcome chris-leni
    I don't know about v3.5.5 but AR4 is certainly capable of creating a painting 180x60cm @200dpi if your processor and memory are up to it.
    I don't personally know what the size limit is in AR (if any) but the biggest canvas I have made is 200cm x 100cm @300dpi and if memory serves that was using around 2GB of memory at the start and then more as I went.
    But expect to see the 'ArtRage Busy' window a lot!
    I must say it was something of an experiment on my part and I did feel that I was working at the upper end of what my system could cope with. A high end desktop system would I think cope much better.
    Normally I don't work much bigger that A3@300dpi as I find that some tools like the water colour brush get too "laggy" for me.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Hi markw,
    in another post the administrator says: "...In this case, 21000 pixels wide is enormous and that is probably not going to work...."

So i wonder how you create a 200x100cm big canvas.

i have an Intel i7 with 16GB RAM and WIN7 pro 64Bit and ArtRage 3.5.11 Pro Version

Can you make make a trial for me in your Version 4.

Please make a canvas with 24000 x 6000 Pixel at 72DPI
    Then draw some big lines, import a picture,
    and make three or four new levels and draw also some lines.
    And then try to save this on disk.
    Is this possible on your system?

On my system it doesn`t work, also I can't save this canvas.

Thanks..

First let me say that unless someones life depends on it consider working on a smaller canvas and just enlarge the finished image. At your suggested size it is like wading through treacle with some of the tools!!!
    You will need a lot of patients!
    But at the end of the day, yes it can be done in AR4.

Being a 2 or 3 year old laptop my i7 has only two cores, the latest 4 core i7 CPUs in a desktop system may fair better at this canvas size.
    At last save, and when the screenshot was taken, the file was 401MB and AR4 was using 2.2GB of real memory but this will go up as more content and time is added.

If you do try working at such a large size then;
    Shutdown and restart your computer first.
    After starting up again, only open AR4 and have nothing else running.
    This should give your computer the best shot at coping with this.
    Some times it will look like AR is not doing anything and has hung but if you wait long enough it should complete whatever it was calculating.
    If you want to try the file I made in the screenshot you can get it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...zeTest.ptg.zip
    Good luck!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-12-20 at 14.26.51.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	78511
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)