ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filter for advanced selections

Filter for advanced selections

I read an article by hanzz on making advanced selections. In it he lists a link for a free plugin called "ghost". I downloaded the plugin and put it in the Art Rage "filters" folder but when I choose "edit > filters" there is nothing there. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong. How do you install a plugin in AR? I am using AR 4. Thanks.

Be sure you've downloaded the proper version of the program to run on your system (Windows VS Apple). If you're sure you've downloaded the right one and that you've put it in the correct folder (Tools > User Content > Open ArtRage Filters Folder), then it might be that you need to close and reopen ArtRage, before it'll show up in the filter list. So be sure to close the program, after putting the filter file into the folder.

If you're using the filter to follow along with Hanzz's tutorial, you could also skip the filter step, by exporting the black and white layer as a .png image (Right click on the layer on the Layer panel, select Export Layer and then save it as a .png). Once you've exported the image, you can then use the Stencil Panel to import the exported image back into artrage as a stencil (using the Stencil Panels menu to "Select Stencil from Disk"). Since ArtRage can make any image into a stencil and understands the lighter colors as being "solid" and the darker colors to be "porous", the imported stencil will produce the same outcome the filter will have provided.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Yes I tried it several times, closing and reopening Art Rage each time but no luck, and I have the correct version for mac. I'll do the work around if necessary but was hoping to get the plugin to work just for future understanding.

Is it possible that you have to have something selected in order for the filter to show in the list? I wasn't actually following along with the tutorial, I was just trying to get the plugin in the right place for when I was ready work thru the video.
    When I select edit>filter all I see is a greyed out selection that says "Redo last filter" even though the plugin is in the filters folder.

It's been a little while since I've had to add a new filter to the program, but from what I recall, it was as easy as dropping the file in the folder and reopening the program. I use a Windows OS though. I've just shut my system down for night (posting from ipad now), but I'll try adding the windows version he posted tomorrow and see if works.

Yes indeed,as easy as that.....just drop in the filter folder and re open Artrage.... I have done it today.....

I loaded a photo and went thru the steps in the tutorial up to the point where you open the filter and it's not there... or more precisely it is in the correct folder but it does not show in the list under edit >filter. If I choose Tools>user content>open Art Rage filter folder, I see the filter right where it should be but again, I can't select it under the edit menu. If I click on the filter it tries to launch Photoshop. I'm out of ideas.

Maybe you did but i ask anyway......did you point the preference to the filter folder? (Artrage preference).

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    I loaded a photo and went thru the steps in the tutorial up to the point where you open the filter and it's not there... or more precisely it is in the correct folder but it does not show in the list under edit >filter. If I choose Tools>user content>open Art Rage filter folder, I see the filter right where it should be but again, I can't select it under the edit menu. If I click on the filter it tries to launch Photoshop. I'm out of ideas.
    Sorry to have to say this jmac but forget it!
    In 3 years of using AR I have yet to find a single filter, bought or free, that will work in the Mac version

And to any one else out there using AR on a Mac, if you have any working filters even if its just 1, pleas, pleas, pleas tell us where you got it and how you got it to work!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

I have 36 of the .8bf files found in the zip opened and working within ArtRage on my Windows system. There's actually 73 .8bf files within the zip, but from what I can tell of the file names, they're mostly duplicated filters, for different bit handling (8bit - 64bit). So, in ArtRage, I'm seeing at least one instance of each filter appearing on the menu. Of the 36, there is only one that doesn't work, titled "Pixel Trash". It's show up on the menu, but using it has crashed my AR program twice (and lost me my preference settings ).

In the past, I've just dragged the filters I wanted to use into the ArtRage filters folder manually and restarted the program. However, I tried something different today, which may work better for those of you on Macs (but I can't be certain, so don't hold me to it). What I did today, was opened ArtRage, gone to Edit > ArtRage Preferences and under the "Filters" group, clicked on the Plus sign button and added the folder holding the .8bf files to the list there. I was then prompted to close and reopen ArtRage. I can't think of a reason why that'd really change anything, but it might be worth a try.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 12-18-2013 at 06:47 AM. Reason: extension error fix

Rondo I did point the preferences to the filters folder even though it specifically says Ar will look in the filters folder automatically. Still no luck.

Markw...Thanks. That is what I was afraid of...Oh well. Maybe in another version.