ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Colours and Tree

Colours and Tree

Not really a painting, just some messing about with the Oil colours and tree stencil #15 that MicK CrocKode
    had in his arpack in the Art Supplies forum. Fun, nevertheless!

I have another painting that I've been doing bits and pieces of, for over a year and a half, trying to learn
    some of the stuff that everyone else here seems to be so proficient at. It may never be finished, as I tend to
    get bored now, as it doesn't feel like play anymore.
    That painting is now at 37 layers, and it's 80MB, so I started a new painting for the last portion. Finally I'm remembering to name layers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colours and Tree.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	363.6 KB 
ID:	78392  
    Last edited by hinket; 12-15-2013 at 06:52 PM.
    Hin

Hin's Paintings: http://hinketea.imagekind.com

I like this painting,very nice! Remember, its the finished product that matters.
    Last edited by jibes; 12-15-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Rotten grammer
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

37 layers must take a lot of mental 'looking after'! Love the work though!

Nice, I feel like I'm in the middle of a cross dissolve in a movie. Interesting that it's 'static' -- well not actually because it feels very active as a result. Sort of analogous to a picture of a freeze frame of sprinter at a track meet. The expectation is to resolve, or anticipate the next phase. Cool.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Hey Jibes,

Thanks, and I have your original comment in my email notification.
    You know, it took me a long time before I even dared to try using one
    layer, lol! And that turned out an interesting result. So I finally opened my mind up to that being a valid use of using all the tools available, in whatever way would bring forth my inner vision, even if I consciously had not realized it yet.

Thank you, Copespeak

“37 layers must take a lot of mental 'looking after’!”

And you know, I bet that’s why I start to feel tired the minute I open that painting to paint some more.
    It sounds like you thought this was the 37 layer painting? It’s not.
    After finishing the tree, I figured, save it for a sticker, so cropped it and raised the dpi to 300 (I almost always forget to do that before starting a painting).

I really wanted to try out those colours, so being a bit lazy, I clicked the eye off in that layer. Then proceeded to play with the oil colours on the layer above it, changing the oil brush settings on the fly. Got hung up on the blush tint and swooped it around till I discovered the beauty of the indigo hue. I think I used a layer between this and the tree layer at the bottom (turned back on), using those two colours to fill in spots. Lowering the opacity of the top layer, I merged the three layers and painted some indigo swirls on it.

So, there you go, three layers for this one, and I do believe I showed remarkable restraint.

Very astute, D. Akey! Thank you, your comments always make my mind sit up and take notice.

I realized that the indigo swirls put me in mind of the crude oil pipeline proposals and debates going on, or perhaps, the pipeline proposals in my mind put the indigo swirls in the painting. Either way, it felt freeing to
    play and paint it out. Yup, painting with oil colours.
    Hin

Hin's Paintings: http://hinketea.imagekind.com