Thread: Scratch Art - Cat and Dog

Scratch Art - Cat and Dog

I love both cats and dogs and just quickly made a little sketch.
    I know it looks bad, but it was just a super easy and fast 'I'm bored' thing, so any advice is welcome so that I can go back and change it and make it better.
    Oh, and I know that they're both a bit disfigured, I couldn't get the cat's legs right.
    (I'm not much of one for drawing animals)

Again,
    Any advice and criticism is very welcome!

And I'm SO sorry it's sideways!!! I didn't know how to fix that... I tried... but it didn't work...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dog and Cat (Scratch Art).jpg 
Views:	4782 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	80517

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    How did you do that!!!??? As a child my art teacher (grade school) had us colour a paper with crayons and paint it with black tempera. Then we'd scratch the black off to achieve that look.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

I made two layers,
    One I painted rainbow and then the other I filled in all black. The black layer was on top of the rainbow layer and I made sure that the back layer was selected... then I just started erasing the black layer in the picture that I wanted. The rainbow layer showed through like a charm!

Glad you liked it!

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    BTW, you can rotate your work in the Gallery. I assume you are on an iPad. Look at the bottom in the Gallery and you'll find the rotate icon.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

Love this sort of art, it's fun to do, always unpredictable. Great job!

Hi Fiawin,
    Like your work and like your technique. Dogs are my favorite but I am poor in sketching so I have a french bulldog Bruno.

Love the technique and the subject matter.
    I'd hang that on my bedroom wall.