ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Prismacolors

My Prismacolors

My Prismacolors came today, I can hardly wait to sharpen them and start drawing with them. I'm going to load the Prismacolor palette in AR tonight and have a test flight.
    Name:  prismacolor.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  109.9 KB
    After seeing that image again I'm thinking it will make a very nice banner for my website after some cropping.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

18 is a good set. When I bought mine they didn't have that choice. It was 12 and then 24. I bought the 72 and went to Saudi. I still use it.
    That was about 14 years back.
    Have fun with them. I just have problems finding replacements for the ones that are worn out. They like to swell sets here and mail takes forever to here.
    Ken
    Love one another.-Jesus

Honestly, I hadn't counted them. I know I can get replacements for singles on Ebay.

Prismacolor has a very nice set of Watercolor pencils too. Those are neat. You paint the picture with them and use a small brush to go over them with water and it turns into a watercolor painting.
    There are some videos on youtube about them.
    Ken
    Love one another.-Jesus

Excellent. I love Prismacolors. I didn't use them all that much for full blown stand alone colored drawings, though it could be used for that. I liked them for mixed media as a way to place colors in tight spots and create colored lines. Now if I use them at all it's got a great blue (which is basically a non-reproducing blue when shot under certain cameras) that has a great color for sketching over which it can be cleaned up with black. But now I can't recall if there was a different brand that wasn't so waxy that was erasable - Colorerace or something. Same color, but erasable and has an eraser on the end like a graphite pencil would. That one gave you a finer line but wasn't as good as a complement to paint.

Also if you ever look at the illustrations of Dru Struzan (Raiders of the Lost Arc etc) and Amsel, and illustrators of that ilk, it works great with airbrush for things like movie poster art. But the sky's the limit of course. But you took me on a trip down memory lane. Only I will be pulling the blue out again very shortly as I have some drawings to do. 'Course I'll also be working with ArtRage.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I get singles from Michael's craft store or Hobby Lobby, if it's an emergency. But if not, I do some on-line searching.

prismacolors

I have more colored pencils then I like to think about-the Prismas are professional quality and are waxed based. If you look around on the net you can get a good light fastness chart as well since the old pencils will fade in the sunlight and eventually vanish.

My favorite clay based pencils are the Derwents---you can't go wrong with either.

OH try using a solvent with your waxed based pencils for some really beautiful washes--I use Turpenoid.

These are supposed to be lightfast.

prismacolors

I bought Prismacolor Premier Colored Pencil Complete Set of 150 from JerrysArtarama. They have soft leads which are smooth, water resistant and lightfast. Love them and have been using them for past 6 months.

Check out Jerry's Artarama online store. When I purchased mine I got some free goods they were offering. I got a book and sharpener with it.

I have the soft ones and a set of verithins. I'm subscribed to jerry's artarama on youtube, I didn't know he had a store too. I don't care for Dick Blick so I'll try Jerry's out, thanks.