ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Girl with a diamond earring

Red face Girl with a diamond earring

My latest work, where I am striving to improve the tone of skin in my paintings whilst keeping the image vibrant and fresh.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	183.3 KB 
ID:	78281  

A most appreciated masterpiece by Veermer is a fine excercise and a real challenge, dear mate.
    If I may transfer You some lessons I learned, to tone down and make a darker color of a base one, You should use both a darker tone of that color and some of the complementary color. Although the tones do give the impression of a round head, the flesh hues here are a too dark, intense and warm, salmon/ "fired clay" (terracotta) I'd say, with reduced transparencies and reflectivity with reference to a human skin, especially for a dutch girl. Maybe working with more, thin layers may helpful to improve on it. If I'm not wrong there must be also a tutorial on flesh tones in the tutorial section herebelow which may give You some other hints about painting flesh and skin ...
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Smile

Thanks Caesar for taking the time to offer your advice and tips. I will seek out the tutorial and you are probably right about using thinner layers. Cheers

Revised version

I have tried to create a more subtle version with smoother skin tones after researching the tutorials
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	78343  

In the softened version, the eyebrows come alive as simple calligraphic curves ...
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio