ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Art Rage vs Painter

Art Rage vs Painter

I was wondering if any of you with experience using Corel Painter as well as Art Rage could offer any insight into how the two programs compare. I'm new to digital painting and found Photoshop to be just too cumbersome to use as a painting (traditional style) program. I am enjoying Art Rage but was curious about Painter. Thanks for your input.

Somewhat dated, but this post may be useful to you:
    http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...rs-pen-and-ink
    Last edited by rscottfree; 12-13-2013 at 07:51 AM.

I used Corel about 4 years ago and was on their forum.
    They seem to be more of a Photo retouching and redoing program. Most of their things seem to be changing a photo to look like something else.
    ArtRage is more of an outright drawing program to sharpen your drawing and painting skills.
    Hope that helps,
    Ken
    Love one another.-Jesus

Thanks rscottfree. That was exactly what I was looking for.

painter vs. artrage

Quote Originally Posted by Raybrite View Post
    I used Corel about 4 years ago and was on their forum. They seem to be more of a Photo retouching and redoing program. Most of their things seem to be changing a photo to look like something else. ArtRage is more of an outright drawing program to sharpen your drawing and painting skills. Hope that helps, Ken
    I have been using Painter since version 3. Now it is 13 (X3), that is about 20 years. I can tell you that Painter is not a photo retouching or editing program. Well, it can be used that way, just like a lot of ArtRage users use AR to trace and paint photos. Today a photo editing or retouching program has to work to work in 14 or 16 bits. Painter, just like ArtRage, works in 8 bits.

Painter is a dedicated painting software, it was the very first of its kind. It is known for all its organic looking brushes and other Tools trying to be al Close to the real thing as possible in a digital painting world. It is developed to make an easy cross over from real life painting and drawing. And it more or less competes with ArtRage on that arena.

I use both Painter and ArtRage every day. Painter is my choise for my professional work. Not because ArtRage is no good. Because it is. No, it is because Painter has all the tools I need, all the "bells" and all the "whistles", and of course of that it is more pricy. Or, one can say, ArtRage a little brother to Painter. A very nice Little brother and always willing to learn from the big brother. But lill' bro' is going his own way while growing up. And that is the way it should be.

I stick to them both. I like them.
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 12-11-2013 at 09:15 PM.

If you are curios about Painter why not try it ? they have a 30 day trial .

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Stahle View Post
    I have been using Painter since version 3. Now it is 13 (X3), that is about 20 years. I can tell you that Painter is not a photo retouching or editing program. Well, it can be used that way, just like a lot of ArtRage users use AR to trace and paint photos. Today a photo editing or retouching program has to work to work in 14 or 16 bits. Painter, just like ArtRage, works in 8 bits.

Painter is a dedicated painting software, it was the very first of its kind. It is known for all its organic looking brushes and other Tools trying to be al Close to the real thing as possible in a digital painting world. It is developed to make an easy cross over from real life painting and drawing. And it more or less competes with ArtRage on that arena.

I use both Painter and ArtRage every day. Painter is my choise for my professional work. Not because ArtRage is no good. Because it is. No, it is because Painter has all the tools I need, all the "bells" and all the "whistles", and of course of that it is more pricy. Or, one can say, ArtRage a little brother to Painter. A very nice Little brother and always willing to learn from the big brother. But lill' bro' is going his own way while growing up. And that is the way it should be.

I stick to them both. I like them.

Any insights into the differences in blending algorithms and blending quality? I notice with ArtRage if you blend colors heavily you often get divergent colors while with Painter I have never encountered this.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by axeslayer View Post
    If you are curios about Painter why not try it ? they have a 30 day trial .
    That is a good question...It's because I'm afraid I will like it and I don't have $400...

I am going to put my two cents in to this thread and just say, I wish someone (HENRY!) would write a book about Artrage. It needs that kind of attention. I use painter too and I love them both but it would be nice to see Artrage get the kind of recognition it deserves.

Artrage vs Painter….and how can I get the Tool cursor to act left handed?

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    I was wondering if any of you with experience using Corel Painter as well as Art Rage could offer any insight into how the two programs compare. I'm new to digital painting and found Photoshop to be just too cumbersome to use as a painting (traditional style) program. I am enjoying Art Rage but was curious about Painter. Thanks for your input.
    Like you, I am new to digital painting but have used Painter but it was many years ago. I am creating a kids picture book and wanted to do it digitally. I got Artrage as it is affordable. Turns out it is an awesome art program. Not nearly as confusing as Painter. But I am left handed and am using a Wacom Bamboo tablet and cannot figure out how to get the Tool curser to act as it would if creating art left handed. It is maddening that there is not any mention of this in the manual so I am thinking….no left handed tools for me.