ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Noir practice

Noir practice

Hi,

I'm playing with noir style comic painting using different effects and rendering styles. One more classic and one more loose and cartoony. I thought the difference in how they turned out between the watercolor and the more classic deep black was really interesting. Comments and critiques welcome!

Cheers,

Chris

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	78167

Views:	57 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	78168

For the interested, here's the reference photo and contour line I started with.

Views:	61 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	78169

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  68.4 KB

If anyone's ever wondered why women doll themselves up, this photo is the perfect answer. Talk about idealizing the human body -- in a certain direction of course. She's stunning. I can see why you picked the photo. Who is she and was it Hollywood? Sam Spade would doubtless have seen her as T R O U B L E.

Anyway, the rendition you did of her is very respectable -- almost Hollywood meets Aubrey Beardsley. I like the natural lines. Having said that, if you're going the Art Deco route, you might want to consider streamlining your shapes rather than making them quite so textural as with the darks in the hair.

The line you put into the hair is actually a really good choice to keep the marks from getting too heavy handed. Good for a blond. I quite like it this way because it's more modern comic book graphic in approach.

But considering the overall style, and specifically the line of beads across her torso, when you are translating lines and shapes into Deco from a photo you would want to smooth it out rather. That was the trick they were going for. Right now the line of beads is sort of wobbly. And that may translate from the photo that way, but you might want to consider faster lines and improving on the way it appears in the photo. Especially so in the case of the beads since it's so stark white against black = eye catching. Think fancy icing on a cake.

However, if you're not going for such a direct reproduction, it's all fine. It will look less formal and glamorous as a result however like having a wedding picture with part of the groom's shirt not tucked in. That would work for certain contexts, but it would create a very different feel. So it's a matter of taste. And you have to consider the context of all your pictures in this series or book as well as the persona of the character you are depicting. You probably want to have a defined look consistent throughout though and deviate from that for a particular effect. Details matter.

Also, if you simplify and streamline your shapes and lines, you can invent things and pull them into character consistently because you don't have to invent quirks which means it would be safer and practical. Uniqueness is harder to fake. It's doable, but a little iffy to make it seem spontaneous and natural.

Overall it's a really nice job.

Oh, I have to ask, who is the model in your photo?
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback. I did both of these today and tried to figure out what I liked about them and what I didn't. I think your comments are spot on. I'll give it some edits and see if that improves it any.

Believe it or not, this is a modern pin up. Taken in 2010, by a studio down in Queensland Australia. They post their stuff on Facebook all the time. I figured it was a good place to go for high quality noir references. The models name, from what I can tell from the photo descriptions and the photographers comments, is Katie Barclay.

The reference book for technique notes I'm using is "How to Draw Noir Comics," by Shawn Martinbrough.

Cheers,

Chris

Ok, I did a little bit of editing. I'm stopping on it before it gets overworked. I think the dress looks best without the bead line.

For what it's worth, the art rage app works really well for this style of art. The painting took me about 2 hours start to finish. The only thing missing from the tool kit is a polygon feature that can be flood filled. Maybe I should put that on my wish list for Christmas

Cheers,

Chris

Views:	65 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	78178

Hello Chris,
    I really like these, and where your going with your 'Noir' practice!
    Like to see more,
    These are great!
    Steve

My Gallery:http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...586-Stevemawmv

This is terrific! I do like the white lines on the black. She's great, but I would like to see her eyes a little less 'stary' (not starry!).

The photo show what appears to be white at the bottom of the iris, but it's actually the pink of the lower lid. Her whole expression would relax if you lift that lower black line.

Attachment 78181

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    This is terrific! I do like the white lines on the black. She's great, but I would like to see her eyes a little less 'stary' (not starry!).

The photo show what appears to be white at the bottom of the iris, but it's actually the pink of the lower lid. Her whole expression would relax if you lift that lower black line.

Attachment 78181
    Like this?

Views:	61 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	78187

And another one I got in while the kids were napping

Views:	57 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	78196
    Last edited by abbysdad; 12-08-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Here's the reference photo for the second one.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  39.3 KB