ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A portrait of my son

A portrait of my son

I usually just paint imaginary faces, so painting someone I know really well is a different experience as I feel it has to capture their essence.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	78118  

Nice portrait. A keeper. . . I mean the picture. Rather a given that the lad is a keeper.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

like the style. brush strokes in the hair are quite free and inspired. well done. only thing I might suggest is some variations of using different hues in the skin tone ...multiple colors can make up flesh tones. painting portraits is a bit of an illusion for the eyes where many colors can make up flesh tones. I just mention it to save you some time. Still it's a real good start.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 12-04-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Thanks for looking

Your advice is appreciated, I would like to have been as free with the face colouring as I was with the hair but lacked the courage to do it. Cheers.

Yes, those are good suggestions about the colors, but as to courage to try something, remember there are layers that can be toggled visible and hidden as a way to try some marks out, as well as there being the undo button. Also you can save versions, which means you can hit a plateau, save it as Version 1, then save it again as Version 2 and go to town. If it works, you have something. If not, delete that one and re-open the previous one and save it with a new name again and try something else.

So anything you paint in ArtRage can be completely forgiving if you do the few things that give you the flexibilitiy.

The way you painted it is good. I love the eyes especially, and mouth and of course the hair. So that's all nice and it has a wonderful warm feel.

But here's another idea if you ever want to try something that is safer as a way of getting a likeness:

Since you're up for suggestions, if you're out for a clear portrait, in art school for a traditional style, they always started out with a clear light and shadow on the model and in your case, take a photo with that in mind. Control the lighting in the photo so it looks good. If you break down the dark and light shapes on your painting first and (as a suggestion for procedure) get your overall line drawing indicating the overall placement of the features and contour of the head, and then right away paint in the shadow. If you do you are well on your way to having the likeness nailed.

Then of course start building up the form. Shadows are descriptive. Comparatively, shadowless pics are more difficult by far. And once you have the dark and light pattern set, you can do some more expressive things with color if you choose, and it will still retain the likeness.

Having said all that, there are portraits and there are portraits. Your portrait as it reads to me now is where the painter (you) are painting the love you have for him. It's almost as if the photographic look of him is secondary to what you're saying, as if forms are an aside to the beautiful being you have with you. And you're focusing on his eyes which possess great depth and clarity and, if you will, purity of spirit, yet strong and light. It's an extremely loving portrait as it stands. And it shows remarkable dimension to the relationship.

My suggestions are more academic. My observation, more personal. So don't lose the quality that you did achieve in the painting. It's far more rare and insightful, and mere technique should never get in the way of that voice.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Smile Great thoughts and tips

Thanks Akey for your considered thoughts and suggestions I will try a few variations using the suggested technique. Cheers Niloc

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Yes, those are good suggestions about the colors, but as to courage to try something, remember there are layers that can be toggled visible and hidden as a way to try some marks out, as well as there being the undo button. Also you can save versions, which means you can hit a plateau, save it as Version 1, then save it again as Version 2 and go to town. If it works, you have something. If not, delete that one and re-open the previous one and save it with a new name again and try something else.

So anything you paint in ArtRage can be completely forgiving if you do the few things that give you the flexibilitiy.

The way you painted it is good. I love the eyes especially, and mouth and of course the hair. So that's all nice and it has a wonderful warm feel.

But here's another idea if you ever want to try something that is safer as a way of getting a likeness:

Since you're up for suggestions, if you're out for a clear portrait, in art school for a traditional style, they always started out with a clear light and shadow on the model and in your case, take a photo with that in mind. Control the lighting in the photo so it looks good. If you break down the dark and light shapes on your painting first and (as a suggestion for procedure) get your overall line drawing indicating the overall placement of the features and contour of the head, and then right away paint in the shadow. If you do you are well on your way to having the likeness nailed.

Then of course start building up the form. Shadows are descriptive. Comparatively, shadowless pics are more difficult by far. And once you have the dark and light pattern set, you can do some more expressive things with color if you choose, and it will still retain the likeness.

Having said all that, there are portraits and there are portraits. Your portrait as it reads to me now is where the painter (you) are painting the love you have for him. It's almost as if the photographic look of him is secondary to what you're saying, as if forms are an aside to the beautiful being you have with you. And you're focusing on his eyes which possess great depth and clarity and, if you will, purity of spirit, yet strong and light. It's an extremely loving portrait as it stands. And it shows remarkable dimension to the relationship.

My suggestions are more academic. My observation, more personal. So don't lose the quality that you did achieve in the painting. It's far more rare and insightful, and mere technique should never get in the way of that voice.

A painting to treasure, well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Smile

Thanks Coops

Lightbulb An updated more abstract version

Here is a more freestyle version of the original, which I actually prefer now that I have done it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	78138  

Quote Originally Posted by Niloc View Post
    Here is a more freestyle version of the original, which I actually prefer now that I have done it.
    WOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sure works for me! Let's see what Screenpainter has to say.