ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat, no-3d paint (wish)

Flat, no-3d paint (wish)

I'd like to have the option to disable the 3d characteristics of the paint and paper, which I guess could result in there being only 24 or 32 bits per pixel that the Artrage engine has to take care of.

That would make painting in ArtRage very fast (CPU-wise). I know about paint thinners and no-grain paper, but that's different I think.

It's not just about speed, though. I mostly prefer to do my paintings in this way (flat paint); in Painter, i never use the impasto effect, and I just use a few brushes to create paintings with smoothly blended colors. (I do prefer the ArtRage interface over just about all painting programs I've seen, however).

(And I'd also like to have the much-requested ink tool and blender! )

I think that if you raise the thinners value you will end up with a flat paint. Also , the marking pen tool leaves flat marks. Is that any help?
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.

Not really.

Well, yes, it does a bit, but not quite as much as I would like.

I've already tried ArtRage out for quite a bit. Using the oil brush with thinners on max doesn't really make everything perfectly flat, I think? And the marker--well, it's a marker. :lol:

Besides, removing the 3d information would make the program faster. I would also like that.

Keep on nagging them Stinky!

It is possible deep within ArtRage, to alter the very sophisticated lighting.

Not by users, because it would make possible some exquisite screw ups.

I have agitated for a simple On/Off light switch for a long time.

I used to paint Ikons and Portraits in Tempera, where the whole method relies on flat paint and subtle hatching. Impossible with Artrage at the moment.

I have also moaned about the effect when printing pictures.
    You end up with a picture that is pre-lit from the top left hand corner. Which does nothing for it when it's in a frame on the wall and lit from some other direction.

Phil
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Yeah, but then when we add all these features our users will complain that the interface is too complex and technical!

Every button or menu option we add sends a grandmother screaming and running for the hills.

All you gotta do is convince Matt that he can add the UI in a way that is in keeping with the ArtRage ideals, and it'll be there!
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

I'm sure this is not new to you guys, but I think a great UI philosophy is to present nice and sensible defaults (just like ArtRage does) but allow the user to "discover" or delve into program customization if he is so inclined. The ability for extensive customization could be "hidden"--not very obvious except to those who are looking for it..... something like that :lol:

I like the way the ArtRage Paint is made right now!

I don't want them to change it into flat paint hatchy stuff

All I would like is some blenders :mrgreen:

But I am just one girl.

Hi Andy,

I would settle for an external program, you had to download on request, that would toggle the light on and off. No UI at all.

Phil
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

way to go little artist ! Blenders for all ! yes ! 8)
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

who

said that?
    Attached Images Attached Images