ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: " Selection prevents painting " oh oh now what

" Selection prevents painting " oh oh now what

Dunno what I've done but was messing around with the toolbar thing and now when I try to do anything on the painting it pops up and says " Selection prevents painting " and I can't do anything.

I've gone into the Layers tool to make sure the layers weren't locked and they are not.

What have I done and how do I undo it?

==============
    Nevermind

I discovered I had added stickers of a couple of gulls and I found out I had to flatten them to paint!!
    Once I did that it let me resume smearing stuff on the paper.

But, I have a new question. It seems to me that in the distant past I knew a shortcut in the layers panel that would make only the current layer visible but I can't remember what it was.

Is there still such a shortcut?

Sometimes I just want to one layer and now I have to go to each one and make it disappear.
    I know when it is yellow the focus is on that layer and the paint only applies to that layer, but I want it so that layer is all I see.
    Last edited by Arizona Willie; 12-03-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    My artistic ability is strained to draw stick figures.

I sit here in front of the computer in awe of the talent displayed by the posters in Art Rage.

Hi Arizona Willie,

Sounds like you may have inadvertently made a selection with the selection tool. If the selection is small enough (such as a single pixel), you won't be able to see it. To be sure, select Edit > Deselect All, to remove any selections (see screen shot below, for how to do this in workbench mode). Then try painting again.

Name:  deselectall.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  120.8 KB
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Willie View Post

But, I have a new question. It seems to me that in the distant past I knew a shortcut in the layers panel that would make only the current layer visible but I can't remember what it was.

Is there still such a shortcut?

Sometimes I just want to one layer and now I have to go to each one and make it disappear.
    I know when it is yellow the focus is on that layer and the paint only applies to that layer, but I want it so that layer is all I see.
    Hold down the "Alt" key on your keyboard and click on the Eye icon for the single layer you want to remain visible. If you want to make them all visible again, hold "Alt" and click the visible eye again.

Name:  altclickeye.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  19.8 KB
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks for the reminder on how to do that. I " thought " I had clicked on the various combinations and it wasn't working ... but I must have missed the ALT key.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    Hold down the "Alt" key on your keyboard and click on the Eye icon for the single layer you want to remain visible. If you want to make them all visible again, hold "Alt" and click the visible eye again.

Name:  altclickeye.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  19.8 KB
    My artistic ability is strained to draw stick figures.

I sit here in front of the computer in awe of the talent displayed by the posters in Art Rage.