ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I crop along a specific outline/path?

How do I crop along a specific outline/path?

Hi,
    I don't see any advanced Crop features in the menus, only Crop to Selection where Selection is a rectangular area. How do I crop along a specific outline or path? For example, how do I crop to the outline in the attached image?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	random.jpeg 
Views:	93 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	78101  

Two questions:

1. Which version of ArtRage are you using?
    This is important to know, because it may limit your options.

2. What are you trying to achieve via the "crop", as you're wording it?
    I ask this, because it doesn't really sound as though you're looking to "crop" it, but rather cut out the shape for repositioning elsewhere on your image.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    Two questions:

1. Which version of ArtRage are you using?
    This is important to know, because it may limit your options.

2. What are you trying to achieve via the "crop", as you're wording it?
    I ask this, because it doesn't really sound as though you're looking to "crop" it, but rather cut out the shape for repositioning elsewhere on your image.
    1. I am using ArtRage 4.0.4 which I believe is the latest version.

2. Yes, I mean cut out the shape and save it as PNG or JPEG. I am a programmer and use ArtRage to develop placeholder art, so don't possess any other drawing software like Illustrator.

There's a slightly later update, 4.0.6, but that shouldn't make any difference.

It sounds like you might just be overlooking the other options;

Have you found the Settings menu panel? It's the first floating panel above the tools corner when it is closed, and floating around when open. It defaults to the square select box, but I've attached a screenshot showing where the rest of the options are. You can also look in the Presets for a range of preset options.

Name:  finding the select tools.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  69.6 KB
    In your example case, you should probably pick the third option, Polygon.

Is that what you were after?

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    There's a slightly later update, 4.0.6, but that shouldn't make any difference.

It sounds like you might just be overlooking the other options;

Have you found the Settings menu panel? It's the first floating panel above the tools corner when it is closed, and floating around when open. It defaults to the square select box, but I've attached a screenshot showing where the rest of the options are. You can also look in the Presets for a range of preset options.

Name:  finding the select tools.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  69.6 KB
    In your example case, you should probably pick the third option, Polygon.

Is that what you were after?
    Perfect, thanks...exactly what I was looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron007 View Post
    Perfect, thanks...exactly what I was looking for!
    Maybe I spoke too soon....using the Wand or Polygon setting, I can select the shape and even cut it, but how do I save the shape that I cut to a JPEG/PNG file?

Maybe I spoke too soon....using the Wand or Polygon setting, I can select the shape and even cut it, but how do I save the shape that I cut to a JPEG/PNG file?
    Okay, so what you're really asking is how to hide the canvas, I think.

Go to View > Canvas Settings to open the Canvas Panel and then drag the Opacity setting down to 0% (this makes the canvas completely transparent). Now, go to File > Export Image File and export the image as a .PNG file type (Note: do not export to a .jpeg, because they won't retain the transparency you want).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

First, you'd Paste it, which would create a new layer.

Then, you can do as Someonesane suggested, or you can just Export the individidual layer. If you're trying to just grab random shapes and images as you work, that's probably the best way. You hit the little menu icon, that appears in the bottom right of a layer, when you hover over a the layer menu (here I'm using the menu for the red flower layer, but I have the grass layer selected to actually paint on)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export individual layer.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	385.4 KB 
ID:	78105

Thanks to you both! The canvas setting zero opacity worked perfectly for my single image. The new layer for multiple random images is also useful, and I will be using that in future too.

Thanks to you both! The canvas setting zero opacity worked perfectly for my single image. The new layer for multiple random images is also useful, and I will be using that in future too.
    Actually, one more question...when I set Canvas opacity to 0% and save the drawing as PNG, it does indeed save just the shape as I wanted, but it somehow "messes up" the size. Example: see the attached PNG of an apple. The dimensions of the saved apple are 1000 x 390px. But the apple is close to spherical so the width and height difference should not be that large. Due to this warped dimension, I have problems in my game when I load the apple, the physics just does not work. So my question is: what exactly gets saved when I set Canvas opacity to 0%? Does it save the blank canvas as well, is that why the dimensions are so off the mark?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apple.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	78137