ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: True friends and a perfect relation

Talking True friends and a perfect relation

Name:  friends.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  100.5 KB

The stumpy pencil and my small compact camera are true friends. The pencil accumulates time, several minutes or even hours or days, in a drawing. The camera registres everything in a fraction of a second, Everything in front of the lens. The artist selects what to draw, sparingly. The camera is a slave to the light an reality...the pencil can do with just some fantasy. And so on...

I was just thinking about the relationship after looking at fraser_ paice misty morning photos. and was thinking "I really need those tools, the pencil and the camera since they have been with me all my life." And now I am sitting drawing, painting , photo editing, darkrooming, in front of a computer screen... what happened...?

Log in and get bored, log out and get happy... it's a new say around here. But I don't know... as long as I got a pencil and a camera I survive... And a computer? I don't know...
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 11-24-2013 at 10:08 PM.

Well don't forget that without the computer you would not have the charming companionship of this community.

Nor would you have all the extensive exposure to all the things that mankind is doing all organized at at your fingertips. I have never seen such a variety and range of art in my wildest dreams.

I agree sitting in front of the computer leaves a lot to be desired, but I've experienced a similar level of frustration from doing traditional art day after day. And if you are doing a big project that takes a long time, sooner or later it can run the very real risk of being boring through merely completing all the drawings -- usually in the same style. And it's very possible that one could get bored at any job. Even if the job is interesting, the person doing it has their moods and will bring that mood over onto something that once was filled with wonder and excitement.

It's not easy to keep things fresh, as I'm sure you know.

The conceptual part of doing art is far more dynamic and exciting and it's comparatively lightning quick. And that's the part for me I never got tired of, and when the ideas were flooding my head, I hated getting pulled over to have to actually paint my ideas. It never seemed to quite measure up to what was in my head. Actually, for me this is one of the reasons I have switched to writing. It's so fast, it keeps up with my head better than picture making.

Anyway, a camera and pencil are your yin and yang apparently and to have that feeling about tools is a wonderful thing because it probably means there's something coming through that wants to see the light of day.

Enjoy whatever you do. And get out into the world with a pencil and camera. Sounds like it's presently your thing to do. One caution: be careful that your mood is not reflective of something inside you holding you back looking for a reason to not finish something. That's usually when that mood would come visiting me. Procrastination and things like that as a way to resist moving forward right before a big personal creative jump, or a day of reckoning coming where my work would be judged and my inner voice was telling me I would surely fail. It often indicated there was a doorway to something bigger.
    Last edited by D Akey; 11-25-2013 at 03:17 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Well after reading all that. All I can say. Is, I like your new hat.

It is a true friend...

Quote Originally Posted by eighty+ View Post
    Well after reading all that. All I can say. Is, I like your new hat.
    ...a true friend, indeed...

My true friends, the scanner and computer.. :)

Name:  Desktop5.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  178.7 KB

Once upon a time, it was in the mid 80's, I used a computer for the first time. It was an Amiga and the software I used was Deluxe Paint. 1987 I bought an Amiga 500, then Amiga 600, 1200 and CD32. It was amazing using the digital environment and I was even the first Art teacher in our country (that I know of) that used computers in the classroom as a instrument of creating art, editing videos and scanning pictures made by hand, creating slideshows, MultiMedia and so on. Since then I am hooked on digital tools. Deluxe Paint was my first software for painting, drawin and animating. Then came Brilliance and later TV Paint (the only Amiga software that survived across to the Windows environment that I know of).

Amiga died and I am now using my Windows computer nearly every day. I started using Painter as my very first Windows based paint program (1995 that was) and I still use it every day. Next came ArtRage in 2004 (I think it was). I use AR every day as well. I have made these paintings of my first computer and my scanner and the girl and the gull with AR, by scanning graphite sketches on paper using my Canon scanner. It is a cheap and simple one but capabe of scanning at 4800 dpi, crisp and clear. I usually scan at 300. It is enough even for printing.

The computer and the scanner are my true friends and companions while I have some problems in sketching and drawing directly in the digital environment. I rather do that on paper, like I have done in those pictures. I mostly add colour using my digital tools. Painter or ArtRage.
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 11-27-2013 at 09:35 AM.

Talking Not chained to the chair...or the screen...

Name:  plattan.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  65.3 KB

These are companions and true friends. I am not chained to a chair in front of my LED screen when I use these. I can sit in my sofa, lay in bed, sit in a café, under a tree in a park, at the beach, in the museum...
    A sketchbook, a sketchpad, Winsor & Newton or Galaxy Note... they make me feel really comfortable. They go well together. I use them often. My true friends and companions. One is a Real Oldtimer, just like me. The other one, is a Newcomer, but they like one Another... they do...

What would I do without it?

Name:  P1040173.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  77.9 KB

I have used my camera again after a long boring dark and grayish December and January. Still it is gray most every day, but now and then the sun comes and so does the light. This Picture is from my kitchen window looking west over the sea. I see Beautiful Clouds and a Blue Sky. It gives me hope and it inspires me. The rain and snow hangs like curtains over the horizon and makes a true drama sometimes. I love it all.

I have done some heavy filtering to thes photos just trying to add some emphasis, mood, expression, to try to add my own feelings for the motif. Thats often how I use my favourite photo editing software = SilkyPix & CameraBag. Sometimes also Photoshop or Darkroom (but not often).

Name:  P1040174.tif.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  65.5 KB
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 02-17-2014 at 03:51 AM.

Henry, thanks this is a very interesting thread, I love to hear how people got into digital work, and I too felt it was a magic door the first time I saw a print that someone had done using painter and printing out on a HP deskjet color printer... I was hooked from the start... love the cloud images..

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Stahle View Post
    Name:  Desktop5.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  178.7 KB

Once upon a time, it was in the mid 80's, I used a computer for the first time. It was an Amiga and the software I used was Deluxe Paint. 1987 I bought an Amiga 500, then Amiga 600, 1200 and CD32. It was amazing using the digital environment and I was even the first Art teacher in our country (that I know of) that used computers in the classroom as a instrument of creating art, editing videos and scanning pictures made by hand, creating slideshows, MultiMedia and so on. Since then I am hooked on digital tools. Deluxe Paint was my first software for painting, drawin and animating. Then came Brilliance and later TV Paint (the only Amiga software that survived across to the Windows environment that I know of).

Amiga died and I am now using my Windows computer nearly every day. I started using Painter as my very first Windows based paint program (1995 that was) and I still use it every day. Next came ArtRage in 2004 (I think it was). I use AR every day as well. I have made these paintings of my first computer and my scanner and the girl and the gull with AR, by scanning graphite sketches on paper using my Canon scanner. It is a cheap and simple one but capabe of scanning at 4800 dpi, crisp and clear. I usually scan at 300. It is enough even for printing.

The computer and the scanner are my true friends and companions while I have some problems in sketching and drawing directly in the digital environment. I rather do that on paper, like I have done in those pictures. I mostly add colour using my digital tools. Painter or ArtRage.
    There is still a program originally made for the Amiga that still in use.......,I have it on my PC win8 64bit
    Directory Opus (or "DOpus" as its users tend to call it) is a popular file manager program, originally written for the Amiga computer system in the early to mid-1990s. Development on the Amiga version ceased in 1997, but an entirely re-written version of Directory Opus is still being actively developed and sold for the Microsoft Windows operating system by GPSoftware.

Oh, I used that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    There is still a program originally made for the Amiga that still in use.......,I have it on my PC win8 64bit
    Directory Opus (or "DOpus" as its users tend to call it) is a popular file manager program, originally written for the Amiga computer system in the early to mid-1990s. Development on the Amiga version ceased in 1997, but an entirely re-written version of Directory Opus is still being actively developed and sold for the Microsoft Windows operating system by GPSoftware.
    I used that one a lot. Great software! I have to check it out, I did not know... thanks for letting me know!