ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Do I stop now?

Do I stop now?

I keep working on this but never 100% happy as it feels like a caricature rather than a portrait, any advice appreciated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	217.8 KB 
ID:	77868  

To me, portrait not caricature. Well done!

It depends on what feelings, emotions, a sense of one's self and how you what to portray those through your own style of painting.
    Advice can always be given, and this is a great forum for it....'It's been helpful for me', 'but....in the end it's yours, no one else's!
    Knowing when a piece is Done is a difficult feeling to overcome, at least to me! You know.... 'if I just change or add this'
    is it going to make it better ?
    Don't battle with yourself,
    just let it flow and enjoy it!
    Stevemawmv

Visit my Gallery:
    http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...-UPDATE-11-27)
    Last edited by stevemawmv; 11-29-2013 at 07:28 PM.

I think your right

I need to let this character go, I have looked into his eyes so often I can imagine he is saying enough is enough, move on, I am done. Therefore I am.

it looks finished to me :)

This particular painting looks finished to me.
    Far from being a caricature, authentic and original are better words to define your artwork.
    And I want to add, it looks really-really nice.

I personally think you should leave it as it is... and move to creating a new one.

Very curious of what you`ll paint next as your style is very interesting.

Lots of luck

Wink

Thanks Elena for your positive comments. As I lack any sort of training I am just trying to define my own style through each effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Niloc View Post
    Thanks Elena for your positive comments. As I lack any sort of training I am just trying to define my own style through each effort.

I also lack any training, but this doesn`t stop me. And I`m glad to see that it doesn`t stop you!
    In fact, there are some people who could argue by saying that going to art school sometimes can destroy genius people by imposing and narrowing their minds to certain techniques and styles.
    Do you think it might be true? It`s just a man`s opinion, I guess.
    But anyway, as long as you and me, and others like us are having fun creating and experimenting with colors, I say all this is worth it.

About defining your own style - oh, I guess with so much talent and predecessors before us, this can be quite a challenge.
    I am only beginning to paint, but already have the same problem with defining my style.
    I guess we can find the answer only by painting more....

Elena

My blog: www.elenahasnas.weebly.com

portrait style

I would say that you are developing a style in this painting. It may not be very realistic, but it doesn't have to be. It shows a lot of character and emotion. Do any of your other pieces have a similar feel?

I can't help but respond to the earlier comments about going to art school crimping creativity. I went to college for art, got my degree and taught art in the school system. But I know there are many classes out there where a teacher is teaching you how to paint like them. That to me cramps your creativity. If you want to improve your painting, look for local classes at community college or through your local community rec program. A good teacher will help you to develop your style.

Quote Originally Posted by elainep View Post
    I would say that you are developing a style in this painting. It may not be very realistic, but it doesn't have to be. It shows a lot of character and emotion. Do any of your other pieces have a similar feel?
    Hello, Niloc, I wonder too if you have some other art pieces in the same style?

Quote Originally Posted by elainep View Post
    I can't help but respond to the earlier comments about going to art school crimping creativity. I went to college for art, got my degree and taught art in the school system. But I know there are many classes out there where a teacher is teaching you how to paint like them. That to me cramps your creativity. If you want to improve your painting, look for local classes at community college or through your local community rec program. A good teacher will help you to develop your style.
    Elainep, hi!
    Regarding my previous comment, I just wanted to clarify that those are not actually my opinions, I merely said " there are some people who could argue by saying that going to art school sometimes can destroy genius people" but that doesn`t mean that I agree with them.
    In fact, I agree with you, a school and a good teacher are valuable to an artist when finding and developing their style.
    Without a proper mentor, learning to paint would be like learning to read without someone to teach you the basics.

Elena

My blog: www.elenahasnas.weebly.com

you have some wonderful brush strokes and color going on in this portrait. your dissatisfaction is probably due to using the airbrush for the eyes which gives them a feeling of being behind a mask and gives it a cartoonish look rather than a more artsy portrait look that matches the rest of the great brush work and playful lines going on. give him some eyelids and a few eyelashes too. I did this rather quick touch up to the eyes to show you the difference the eyes might make in the portrait.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eyes adjust.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	465.4 KB 
ID:	79773  
    Last edited by screenpainter; 03-07-2014 at 01:42 AM.