ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Wet leaf studies

Wet leaf studies

The treatment is a controlled wet bleed with calligraphic overlay, pencil and brush on sumi paper ... The image was imported to iPhone 5 and married to a lighter textured paper ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

I really like this one Mr Pete. Great composition as seen through the variety of shapes, 'textures' and division of the page. Really successful to my eye. I think I kinda like that it's got more clarity which feels both spontaneous and natural as well as manipulated with a range of marks. Also feels a little like a natural wet into wet on rice paper, which alludes to one of your favorite styles, I should think. Very satisfying. Hope you like it too.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    I really like this one Mr Pete. Great composition as seen through the variety of shapes, 'textures' and division of the page. Really successful to my eye. I think I kinda like that it's got more clarity which feels both spontaneous and natural as well as manipulated with a range of marks. Also feels a little like a natural wet into wet on rice paper, which alludes to one of your favorite styles, I should think. Very satisfying. Hope you like it too.
    Thanks D Akey, you hit all of the high points I produced many variations of this theme, I was aiming for more jagged, toothier edges to the leaves, but settled on this one because the wet in wet sorted itself out better against the drier pencil ... Future versions will have the torn, ragged look of leaves battered by autumn rains, which after all was my model, along with the outsized leaf paintings of Bada Shanren ...

For myself, I live by leaves
    So that corridors of clouds,
    Corridors of cloudy thoughts,
    Seem pretty much one...

from Wallace Stevens, "Botanist on Alp"
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Hey Pete,

Definitely more clarity, makes this old brain kick in it's imagery definition processes alot smoother....
    But again, the 'Titles'...kick starts it all!
    'Beginning to see and appreciate more'
    Enjoyed viewing and thinking about your image....
    Take Care,
    Steve

Love it! It's absolutely evocative of the whole leaf and almost of all the rest, the damp soil and tree roots ...
    Panta rei (everything flows)!