ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Water colour rain effect.

Water colour rain effect.

Hello,

I've done an experiment with water colors. I've make a landscape that helped me learn more about water colors, experiment with them and learning from what I've done wrong.

However, I'm stuck with the rain effect, everything I do looks very artificial.

I also think there must be a way not to draw every single raindrop by hand, is there?

Any advice or tutorials?

Thank you!

(Sorry for short/direct message, I'm currently studying for tomorrow).

How about this?

Name:  stranden1.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  83.8 KB
    This rain effect was made on two or three layers. I made drops and lines of the rain on one layer. Than I made a duplicate of that layer, moved tha layer a bit and merged the layer down. The drops and lines were twice as many in a second or two. One meore duplicate and one more transformation of the new layer and a merge. In a few seconds I hade 4X the initial drops and lines. That way of duplicating, transforming and merging can go on until you are satisfied. If you use different layering methods you can make drops and lines either light or dark. Easy!
    My Art Blog : Pennstreck
    My Instagram: Instagram

Here is another...

Name:  raindrop.png
Views: 641
Size:  6.5 KB

Draw an image of one or a few drops. Be sure to make it 100% red (255R 000G 000B) so you can add any colour to it you like. Save it. (If you download my raindrop you can use it. It is a transparent png.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	import.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	77818

Open the Stickers and upload the transparent png file you just painted. Use the settings I used. Save the settings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	settings.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	77819

Tap down the stylus to Place drops on the Picture. Here is a photo I used this very basic drop on. But it looks a bit like rain..?

Name:  rain.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  26.7 KB
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 11-14-2013 at 01:40 AM.
    My Art Blog : Pennstreck
    My Instagram: Instagram

Forum member jacktar51 posted some rain stencils on the forums which may be worth experimenting with.
    You can find them here: http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...140#post148140
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Thank you very much Henry,

I was unavailable to download your file(I can't see the link). In fact, this experiment was inspired by your water colors. I'll try to use the tools you have shown on those pictures rather than to use your file as I need to learn how to do it my self.

I'll let you know about the result, thank you very much for your worked respond.

To markw:

Hello again Mark, nice to see you around!

I did have a look at the post and it is fantastic it looks great(the whole post does).

Thank you for the link