ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Color Names?

Color Names?

Hello,

Iím trying to learn how to determine the name of a color using Artrage or other program or app. I would like to import a photo and then pick a spot on the canvas and get the color name. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill

I'm not positive, but you may have to download specific color sets that can be found in the supplies section of the forums.

There is probably someone who is more capable and better at explaining what you need. Hopefully an extra post will catch the attention for you.
    Last edited by MJSparks; 11-11-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Hi BJenkins,
    Well, you can't get an actual colour name from a spot on a photo in AR and in truth a lot of the names of colours are quite arbitrary, one companies Green Moss is another's Fern Green.
    But in AR, hold down the Option key (alt key in Windows), that activates a Colour Picker. Still holding the key down click on the colour you want from your imported photo.
    When you let go of the Option key AR will revert back to whatever brush, crayon, etcÖ that you were using and it will now use the colour that you selected from the photo.
    You can save the colours into your own AR colour collections to use again later if you want. Page 69 in the manual talks about adding/removing colour samples.
    As Megan noted you can also find lots of pre made colour sets for AR over in the supplies section.
    It might also be worth mentioning here that if you bring a photo in as a Tracing, AR can automatically select the colours from it as you paint.
    Last edited by markw; 11-12-2013 at 02:12 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Not sure what you mean by color name. You mean like a house paint color like Oyster Shell White?
    Are you asking if the colors on the screen correspond to color sets? Are you interested in order to buy real world oil or acrylic paints that match what you see on the screen? You concerned with printing?

You can pick a pixel and get a color based on CMYK or RGB numbers. It's numeric though.

And because the screen potentially can give you millions of color variations, naming them all would be silly. So they go by so much cyan, so much yellow, so much black etc in the mix to make that color. Because monitors and so on vary so much, and printing presses, with inks and papers make what it looks like when printed vary so much, it's a crap shoot.

But cutting it that fine is not really all that important because professional printers can get it pretty close to what you see on your monitor unless your monitor settings or the monitor itself is/are off.

And so when color is essential to get it exact every time, such as for corporate identity, there are things like Pantone color swatches which are chips that one picks and presents to the printer and the corporation to know this is what they will always see in their printings.

So if a computer program gives you a number, that's the best you can come up with. Photoshop definitely has it. Illustrator and the like do as well. And I'm sure at this point in time, most professional printing programs for artists have that stuff.

Here's something online that I found having done a quick search for "pick a pixel on screen and get the number". I'll guarantee there are lots of such programs, and some may be free.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/16378...te-coordinates
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

You guessed right but sorry I didnít come up with a more specific question. I wanted to determine color names for ordering oil and or watercolor paint. Since the paint manufactures arenít standardized enough with the names I guess Iím not as interested now but it would be a starting point.

Hereís a free way to do this online; first I went to Pictaculous and uploaded a photo and immediately received a suggested palette for the photo. Then I took the number over to Name That Color and it gave me a color name. I hope someone will try this and report back. Itís super easy and I just thought that AR might do this or maybe there's a different app or program that someone knows about.

Pictaculous - http://www.pictaculous.com/

Name That Color - http://chir.ag/projects/name-that-color/#486666

Thanks,
    Bill
    Last edited by BJenkins; 11-12-2013 at 12:03 PM.

I suggest a trip to the Art Supplies section of the forum.

I know there have been oil paint and watercolor paints shared that match their traditional medium counterparts.

also tips and tricks I found this gem.

http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...552#post458552

from using the color sampler I guess you would have to compare the sample you took to the artist colors then.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 11-17-2013 at 11:30 AM.

2008? That's some memory! Well done ScreenPainter.

Quote Originally Posted by screenpainter View Post
    I suggest a trip to the Art Supplies section of the forum.

I know there have been oil paint and watercolor paints shared that match their traditional medium counterparts.

also tips and tricks I found this gem.

http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...552#post458552

from using the color sampler I guess you would have to compare the sample you took to the artist colors then.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

trust me, that is not from memory... it's called Advanced Search function.

Hi Bill

If you use the Precise Colour Picker [Tools][Colour Options] that will give you the RGB value of any colour. The column on the right.

If you go to this site:

http://www.art-paints.com/Paints/Wat...lor-Paint.html

This is for watercolours. You can pick a paint company, say, W&N and enter an RGB value into the search engine and it will find the paint and all its details, provoded of course the RGB value you enter actually matches up with a paint :-)

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

and another classic wherein many traditional artist color palettes ioncluding holbein and winsor and newton are shared:

http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...N-OH-and-names

hopefully the download links still work here.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 11-17-2013 at 09:18 PM.