ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After autumn rains

After autumn rains

... source is a poem, words to follow ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chinapete; 11-10-2013 at 06:40 AM.
    xiěy, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

I like the mood in this one.

A very quiet painting, really lovely!

"... source is a poem, words to follow ..."

Looking forward to the poem, as I have found out sometimes the title of the work can be misleading....
    The written words 'to me..will enhance my ablitity to enjoy and understand the inspiration or feelings that inspired you to create the image.
    In short, 'Your Killing Me, Pete!
    He He!
    Anxiously 'Waiting',
    Steve

I believe we're seekin' constellations in that futuristic atmosphere. . .
    'ard to navigate without me rudder ta find me way through the asteroids. . .Yar. . .Fire the retro rockets, laddy buck! We're goin' in slow. . .
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks for the kind thoughts ... Earth to D Akey :-)

stevemawmv, the words aren't there because I'm still writing them :-)... I'm stuck on a translation ...
    Artrage Gallery

The colours are that of autumn trees all misty after the rain and look great Pete

So the poem I had in mind is by Wang Wei (8th c.), a famous poet-painter ... I'll just give the title and the first two lines, because my painting keys off something in the poem's title:

Mountain Recluse Autumn Dusk

Empty mountain fresh rain after
    Sky air evening autumn here

That's a word-for-word replacement in English of what you would see if you were looking at the Chinese characters ... The final character in the poem's title suggests a kind of tug-of-war between light and dark: 暝 [pronounced "mng"], which means "sunset, dusk" ...

The idea of "dusk" can be visualized in the way the character combines light and dark ... On the left side is 日 [ri] sun or light, and on the right side is 冥 [ming] dark, obscure ... In this way, 暝 [ming] shows light and dark co-existing, with light giving way to darkness, and so we immediately see "dusk" ... And this fits with the larger theme of autumn, that time of year when the light is fading and yet has its own intense clarity, especially just before daylight disappears ...

Thanks for the comment, jean :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by chinapete; 11-11-2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: filling out the triptych
    Artrage Gallery

'Mountain Recluse Autumn Dusk'

Is it the inspiration or accompaniment?

I see the colors of Autumn 'moist by the fresh fallen rain 'sharing but slowly melting into one another to become darkness.....
    Could the autumn dusk at it's point of "light and dark co-existing" be considered Yin Yang of those two forces?
    'Pete, I'm new to this... Just trying to understand.
    I now have a better understanding and sense of your image,
    Enjoyed,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevemawmv View Post
    Is it the inspiration or accompaniment?
    Thanks, Steve ...

It was a dark rainy afternoon, I was leafing through Wang Wei's poems, I noticed the character "ming 暝" and wondered whether I could paint light yielding to dark, the rain let up, through the window the boughs were black against the autumn leaves, I painted that ...

About yin-yang, you know, in Wang Wei's time, various strands of Confucianism, Buddhism and Taoism were woven together and sometimes they are hard to unravel, in Wang Wei's case, he probably was a Taoist in his poetry (his paintings haven't survived), we can see Taoism in this poem's handling of light and dark, and in the idea of an "empty mountain" -- the mountain is "empty" not because there is no one there (the poet must be there to observe the emptiness), but in the sense that humans leave no trace as they pass through nature ...
    Last edited by chinapete; 11-11-2013 at 07:25 AM. Reason: clarifying
    Artrage Gallery