ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picture of a dog...

Picture of a dog...

I havent posted for a while so heres a cute German Shepherd. I hope you like it....Stuart

Picture removed - waiting on copyright info from paintmyphoto.
    Last edited by stuart2; 11-09-2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Picture removed - waiting on copyright info

It is very cute indeed! The one thing I'd change is how the light reflects in the eyes - seems to be different for each eye.

I wouldn't state too loudly that the picture was taken from painmyphoto since they don't allow their photographs to be used as references for digital art. So you are breaching the copyright.

What a cutie

Dog musta got off his chain again. . . time to scour the neighborhood. . .
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Looking forward to seeing the picture, when this copywrite stuff is sorted out.
    Last edited by stevemawmv; 11-10-2013 at 07:04 AM.

I hope they say it's fine. When I asked whether I'd be ok to use their photos for digital art and explained that it wasn't any sort of image manipulation but that the process mimics greatly natural media e.g. using pencil tool is really not that different from using actual pencil they still told me "no".

Seems a bit sad doesn't it? Do they not understand digital is another legitimate form of art?

Still, there are so many wonderful subjects out there in the world. Get out your camera and go shoot up a storm and work from your own pics.

Yes, I agree and find it a bit sad. I mean we are talking here about drawing from a picture and doing it for pleasure, not about using/manipulating the actual photograph, not about re-posting the photograph anywhere, not about any sort of commercial use. I guess that one way to go about it is to get your own photos, but that is not always possible - for example I don't have any easy access to parrots right now. I am planning a trip to the UK Parrot Zoo though, so will definitely try to get some pics.

I'm hoping that here the author of the picture will be flattered by stuart2's drawing and will be fine with him using it

There should be lots of ways and places to get images where the source doesn't mind. Copespeak, didn't you post a website where there were copyright free photos? Besides, if you walk around with an iPhone you ought to be able to find things to shoot. And then the trick is to not be slavishly held to copying the photo exactly. That's a good thing to learn to be free of for an artist in any case.

It was certainly the 20th century lament among artists finding pictures to paint from, and not having equipment so handy as an iPhone to take pictures at the drop of a hat, and having to go through magazines which probably weren't exactly right, or having to hire models etc, even though many commercial artists weren't making enough money to do so with a professional model. . . etc. It's always something seeming to get in the way. . . why if only <fill in the blanks> I'd be flying.

But it's the 21st century lament among artists about seeing an infinite array of really cool images accessed with a simple search string, and then not being permitted to use them to do art from.

But there are always places that aren't so protective, and with a little networking among artists they can be found and compiled with those from other artists etc.

I *think* the one copespeak shared was this one.

http://www.rgbstock.com/
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

public domain images are also good