ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: moving objects together on two different layer groups

moving objects together on two different layer groups

I added two layers into a group, one with the line drawing, and the other with color. I was curious to see if I could move the united object (line and color together) but do not see how I can do it. Any advice on this?

IT Jane
    Version 4.0.4
    Win 7

Hello and welcome to the AR forums itjane
    Well, you were heading in the right direction by adding your chosen layers to a group...
    Name:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  61.4 KB
    Last edited by markw; 11-08-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

no success yet

Markw-

Thank you for your very clear answer. Unfortunately, it is not working for me. When I click on "Transform Group Contents" there is no way of knowing I have engaged it - as far as I can tell (through natural human instinct, it leads to multiple mouse-clicking). I try to move my objects jointly across layers with no luck.

I have with success used the selection tool on a single layer to make sure I have selected the right object from all the other ones on the page, then moved on to the Transform tool to do the moving. Maybe I am not approaching this right.

I assumed if all of my drawn separate objects were on same layer, and all my coloring was on a different layer, I could still, through grouping, pick out the "apple," as an example, from the other fruit on the page and move the line drawing and coloring together as one - "the apple."

-IT Jane

When you use 'transform group contents' a dashed line appears around the contents ( the transform rig ). So, after choosing transform group contents you can drag the content around. When you're done, press the enter key to confirm, or click outside the transform rig. If you're not seeing the edges of the transform rig, they may be off the edges of your screen if you're zoomed in or if the content you're transforming covers the entire canvas, but you can still choose to transform group contents then drag and press the enter key to confirm.

You do not need to use the selection tool first to transform the entire contents of layers in a group.

If you have any further problems, please feel free to email me directly at support@artrage.com, I'll be happy to help.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Sorry to hear it's not working for you just yet.
    Hopefully a combination of Dave's post and this short video of me doing it will help get it all working for you.
    Link to video: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...upedLayers.mp4
    Last edited by markw; 11-08-2013 at 12:01 PM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

now working

I appreciate both of your help. After a considerable amount of time working with this, it seems to be doing what it is supposed to. I think what happened is I created a group with nothing in (not intentional) - when my cursor waved over the group title, I would get an "open,close" button, but no action would occur when I attempted to open/close - that was my clue that I had to be doing something wrong.

What I "thought" was the two layers in the group was actually down the totem pole, so I mistakenly thought the items were contained within the group title. So of course, no actions taken on the layers would have effect.

.... the infamous "user error"

Many thanks, IT Jane

Alternative way to move layers into groups?

I was playing around last night with the grouping of layers, and still had difficulty with it working correctly. I create a folder group, then attempt to drag a layer into the folder, but it resists. Is there another way to do this? - IT Jane

Hum... not sure exactly what you mean by "resists" when you try to move layers.
    One thing that can slow down moving things in the layer stack, like adding layers to groups, is the overall size (MB) of the ArtRage file you are working with. In large files things can start to slow down a bit as there's a lot of information AR has to keep track of. Maybe its this that's making it look like the layers are reluctant to move? Just a thought.
    Any way here's another (mercifully short) recording of me doing it to look at.
    A lot of what I do I'm sure you will be doing correctly already but it may help seeing someone else doing it.
    Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._To_Groups.mp4
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:

now it makes sense!

Markw-

That short little video is GOLD! I did not understand that the 2nd gray bar was a bottom, and enclosed the groups, and that the bars could be moved around. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

IT Jane