ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Graphic Tablet Advice needed.

Graphic Tablet Advice needed.

Greetings all,
    I have been thinking about purchasing another type of Graphic Tablet that can be used with Artrage, but need some advice on this as hubby thinks it would be a great idea to get something like an iPad which obviously as a second use as well. We thought about getting the Surface pro but have decided against that, so at the moment iPad is the top of our list, however I am a little out of my depth in terms of it relating to AR. Do I need to buy the iPad version of AR software for it, will my current stylus work on it ( I am still using my Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Tablet which I love ) Also what generation would I need to run it on, am happy to get an older version of it which will be a little less money one hopes !
    Sorry for all the "numpty questions" and thank you for any replies

You will not be able to use the wacom bamboo pen on the iPad. It's a fingers-only device even though you can get styluses for it that essentially mimic the finger. See here for some reviews of those:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/10/29...us-ipad-review

Note that with any of these styluses you won't have the precision you do with your wacom tablet. Drawing on the iPad is more like drawing with a crayon than it is a pencil. I find that for painting and coloring it works great, but sketches are a little more cumbersome since it's hard for me to tell exactly where my line will start and end unless I zoom in a lot in which case I lose perspective on the whole drawing.

Yes, you will need to buy the iPad version of ArtRage. It will run you $5 USD, so it's much cheaper than buying another desktop license.

I believe ArtRage will run even on a 1st generation iPad, however I hear it runs pretty slow on that version. On the cheap end of things I think the 2nd generation iPad or the iPad mini would be better suited for you. I have only ever used ArtRage on the iPad 4th generation, so maybe others here with differing experiences can chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by rscottfree View Post
    You will not be able to use the wacom bamboo pen on the iPad. It's a fingers-only device even though you can get styluses for it that essentially mimic the finger. See here for some reviews of those:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/10/29...us-ipad-review

Note that with any of these styluses you won't have the precision you do with your wacom tablet. Drawing on the iPad is more like drawing with a crayon than it is a pencil. I find that for painting and coloring it works great, but sketches are a little more cumbersome since it's hard for me to tell exactly where my line will start and end unless I zoom in a lot in which case I lose perspective on the whole drawing.

Yes, you will need to buy the iPad version of ArtRage. It will run you $5 USD, so it's much cheaper than buying another desktop license.

I believe ArtRage will run even on a 1st generation iPad, however I hear it runs pretty slow on that version. On the cheap end of things I think the 2nd generation iPad or the iPad mini would be better suited for you. I have only ever used ArtRage on the iPad 4th generation, so maybe others here with differing experiences can chime in.
    Thank you for this information, theverge review was very helpful If the truth be known I think I am more tempeted to invest my dollars in one of the Wacom Intuos range, perhaps the latest new model or the Intuos 3 which I have heard a lot of good things about. More research needed methinks.

A good place for researching tablets is here;
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/
    The people there can answer most of your questions I think. May I ask why you are not considering the Surface Pro? It has a Wacom digitizer and is around the same size as the iPad but has pressure sensitivity.

I can't speak for the original poster, but I would like a surface pro, and I compare the cheapest model of the surface pro 2 ($899) to the ipad air ($499), and that's a $400 dollar difference. That's significant to me. If it were in the $500 range, it would be an easy choice since I like the desktop version of ArtRage more than the iPad version (which I have only used briefly). Not that I would get an iPad anyway--I need a real stylus.

Greetings all,
    Gosh I am sorry I forgot all about this thread, so much has happened since this post, I have become a granny, health is not so good and just life stuff going, plus I am concentrating heavily on my art. Any how a quick update, all the above plans went out the window and I ended up getting a Dell XPS 12 at an absolute bargain price, (think graphics tablet will be upgraded later on this year ) and I have to say that I love it. Running windows 8 and can flip to a tablet its all good. I haven't put Artrage on it yet, not sure if it will run with windows 8 but if I do I will let you know my findings, if there is any of interest.

I hope you are all well, I pop in and look at the great work being created, such a multi talented crew you are, and hope to share some of my newer stuff soon.