ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Exported save looks bad

Exported save looks bad

Hello. I'm pretty new to drawing on my PC. Really, new to drawing at all... I dabbled some way back in my school days but decided to buy this fancy tablet and try a new hobby.

Anyway, I tried drawing and coloring a picture tonight (not great, I know, but I'm learning... and it took me a while to get used to the tablet.) and wanted to save it to show someone. The problem is, no matter what I try to export as (PNG, JPEG, etc...) the image looks exactly the same. There are all of these pixels missing. It's much smoother in ArtRage.

There don't seem to be any JPEG export options... is there any way to get a higher quality save? I have to be missing something here. I also have GIMP, FireAlpaca, and Krita (though they all play hell with the Wacom Intuos Pro) and some other stuff that came with the tablet. Maybe I can get a lossless image into GIMP to export a better JPEG?

Please help. I bought ArtRage because I liked the older version that came with the tablet, but if my stuff will only look good in app, that kills it for me.

Here's what I exported, This is the PNG file:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AnimeGirl.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	388.3 KB 
ID:	77631Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AnimeGirl.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	388.3 KB 
ID:	77631
    Last edited by R3belD0gg; 11-01-2013 at 03:41 PM.

???

It looks better in my web browser... Windows picture viewer and GIMP both make it look terrible. White pixles all over, especially the hair...

Just a test... this is the JPEG.

Name:	Anime Girl.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	77632

A PNG export from ArtRage should be the same in appearance as the Artrage painting. Regarding jpg quality, you can set that in Edit -> ArtRage Preferences -> Advanced settings ( or Export if you're using Studio or Studio Pro ) to 100%, while jpg quality will never be perfect due to compression.

The lighter dots you're seeing will be the canvas texture which will be visible through parts of your crayon, because it is interacting with the roughness of the canvas. However, if you believe you are seeing a difference, please email me your painting to support@artrage.com as well as a PNG export and I'll take a look at it here for you. Please also let me know in the email which version of ArtRage you're using.

EDIT: One thought:

Make sure you're at 100% zoom in ArtRage and in your picture viewers. If you're not viewing the picture at 100% size, it won't be as crisp in ArtRage which could make it look different. You can check the zoom level in the top menu bar
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I sent an email as you suggested. I know what you mean about the canvas, but the image in the program has a much smoother effect. The canvas texture becomes hard white squares when I view in another application (like GIMP.) Basically it's smooth in ArtRage and harsh when I export... but it looks better in a browser, even at 100% size.

Well past my bed time... I'll have to look again in the morning.

So it looks like for me (this is an enlarged image):

Oryginal (.ptg):........................................... .................................................. ............................................ Export to .png:

Name:	.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	77634 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qptg.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	77635

Export to .jpg:

Name:	Qjpg.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	77633
    Poland (current in Czech Republic)
    ArtRage 4
    Windows 8-64bit
    Genius PenSketch M912

That looks like the behaviour I would expect. See my previous posts for instructions on how to change the jpg quality to 100% if you want to make sure you are exporting at maximum jpg quality. However, even at 100% it will not be as accurate as a png export, as jpg is a lossy format. I hope this helps clarify things.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design