ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: A Friend

A Friend

Hiya!
    This is the second AR painting i've made (the first being the rose tutorial). This is a special friend of mine so be nice haha :P

First of all this was a webcam pic so the quality isnt the greatest. What I could use is some tips on painting hair, (in the pic the hair was completely black but for the next times mainly). I painted using an interesting style.

Instead of using the brush, I actually used the paint tube (sometimes dry-brush) and smeared it all with the knife. I realise a few things are off (nose, eyes, etc) but that should come with some extra pratice (.. and better images. ever traced a B&W webcam image? not fun)

Umm. yea. Meow
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dear Dregnaught, This pretty good for only your second try with AR. Most of this looks pretty good. The eyes are probably the most important to get right if you want a good likeness. Of course nose, mouth and shape of all count too, but eyes seem to be the first thing people see. The hair that you have isn't bad at all, it could probably use a couple of small hi-lites to define the shape and style of the hair. Color doesn't really matter, you pick what you like and use it. All colors in a painting are influenced by the light that they are in, so if you imagine a violet light soirce, your hi-lites will be violet. Good luck and keep practicing.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.

Thanks for your reply jvolkel.

This is the reference pic used. The main thing I missed was the head band but oh well. I tried to duplicate it as best as I could. There was no hair highlights so I didn't duplicate that :P.

What do you think about it when you've seen the reference pic?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I can see that you got the shape of the face and hair down pretty good. Minor details would make the picture better. Shading around nose needs work, as before the eyes need a little more shaping, and it looks like you may have to adjust the shape of the lips a little. I would also soften (blend) the edges along the hair line and face. Hair also has volume and will cast shadows underneath it.
    I hope I don't sound too picky. Paintings are individual things and everybody has their own way of communicating what they want to say in their art work. I would not try to make a photo likeness, because if that's what you want, just look at the photo.
    Like I said before, You have a good start and just some more small stuff should make it very nice. Good luck.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.

Thanks! I never thought about shadow under the hair. Most of that stuff you said I know, it's just the minor stuff. But really, fixing things up in AR is such a pain lol. I just wanted to get it out.

Photo likeness - I'm just using that to train myself. Once i get good I'll start drawing faces and paint those in.