ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Studio notes

Studio notes

I keep a journal because the conversation I have with myself about art is as important as the art itself ... In January 2013, I became interested in Turner's sketchbooks and the calligraphic qualities of his drawings ... That led me to try to discover for myself why I thought there was any connection between Turner and certain classical Chinese ink paintings ... So that's the main subject of the excerpts in the attached .pdf ...

Also in the chatter are references to a few digital paintings I produced and posted on the AR forums back then, so the language may already be familiar to those of you who were following along ...

[notes are under revision]
    Last edited by chinapete; 11-20-2013 at 02:39 AM.
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Well, Mr Pete, I notice a similarity in approach between these snippets and your painted details. I look to grasp a handle in each, and sometimes my grasp slips and I find myself falling. . .

In the writing, it's interesting because while it alludes to a whole lot that didn't make it onto the page, it's like a string of charged words that set of a synaptic trail of feelings or notions in your own mind. It's a little like driving past a high school football stadium at night. I see the lights and occasionally I hear the band and cheering, so I know there's quite a game going on. But I can't see anything.

So I feel like you're having an intense, personal inner experience and all I can say is Bravo! And I have many of them myself. It's awesome. It suggests a universe of possibilities. I think I'll pass the mic over to my good friend Johnny who will now speak of my experience as someone who's imaginings is all I have to work with here. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDktBZzQIiU

Go Pete Go!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    ... But I can't see anything ...
    I've made you feel a bit like the blind man groping about the room: "I reach for the window, I feel the pane" hehe ... You say you see similarities between the writing and painting, I don't think that's a small point, writing ought to have as much presence as a painting ... On many classical Chinese paintings there is calligraphy written by others, words that have nothing to do with the painting ... The important thing is to know someone was there and saw something ...
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio