ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Portrait Backgrounds

Portrait Backgrounds

I'd like some help with backgrounds. I've tried to do something which gets lighter around the face, but I'm not satisfied with the appearance. It looks childish...perhaps I should lessen the saturation? Any advice? Also feel free to critique the face itself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vwiacek.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	328.6 KB 
ID:	77557  

It depends what sort of feeling/effect you want. Your yellow colour of the hair reacts quite strongly with the the purple, so if you don't want it too traditional, that's fine. Maybe tone it down a bit so your face takes pride of place rather than the background. Having a halo of light around the head is a choice you can make or not. Many portrait painters might choose the opposite to make the head 'come forward'. Look at the way others use the background for some ideas.

Two really obvious things with your face.... the pupils of the eyes should be pretty much the same size (perspective allowing), and yours are very different. Your eyes are beautiful, piercing, direct and very believable.

The hairline could have the hair feeding into the skin line, so it is not so cut off.

Very unusual and a very good effort nevertheless!