ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: A question about merging layers

A question about merging layers

I'm hoping the answer to this question will be blindingly obvious to everyone but me.

Imagine two layers. The top layer is completely covered in paint, but the layer below is only about half covered, with the rest being alpha transparency.

Is there a way to merge that top layer of colour down to the layer below while setting it up so that the alpha transparency parts of that bottom layer remain transparent, even though the top layer is covered in paint? This in effect means I'm losing half the paint of that upper layer.

(In case anyone's trying to visualise why I'd want to lose paint off an upper layer, I'm using that top layer only to unify colour on layers below, by setting it to multiply blend mode.)

I cannot think of an easier way of describing that. Sorry.

I'm guessing you're using ArtRage 4 from previous posts, let me know if you're using a different version.

This is unlikely to be perfect and you may get some fringes at the edges, but you could possibly do this:

- Choose the lower layer in your layers panel, then from the Edit menu choose 'select layer contents' then Edit -> Invert Selection. You will now have selected the background area of that layer ( everything outside the media ).
    - Right click the layer above and choose 'merge layer down'.
    - Now press the delete key to delete everything in your selected area, then clear your selection via Edit -> Deselect all.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Awesome, thanks Dave. Works a treat.

Saves me a bunch of funtimes with the eraser.

Loving Artrage 4, btw, especially the gradient fill.