ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the Market for a Tablet or Detachable Notebook for AR

Question In the Market for a Tablet or Detachable Notebook for AR

Greetings,

I'm in the market for one of those detachable notebooks that clip off from the keyboard to become a touchpad tablet. I'd be open to going with just a tablet, as well. Doesn't have to be a detachable notebook, but I do need the typing and other functions for a travel computer.

I'm sick of not being able to work on ArtRage while traveling.

I need one with a stylus (or one that a stylus can be used with) so I'm not digital fingerpainting.

So what do you guys use that you like?

What do you recommend?

Thank you!

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff_Gerke; 10-25-2013 at 02:03 AM.

I have looked a lot at the surface pro and now surface pro 2. Still saving up for it, but it has a wacom pen and an accessory keyboard you can buy separate. I have also looked at the Sony Tap 11 and the Thinkpad Helix. My choice would be the surface pro 2 for it's performance and price even though I wish the screen were bigger.

Thank you. That's very helpful. The price for the Tap 11 is certainly better than for some of the other detachable notebook/tablets I've seen. Most of those are running $1,100-2,000.

Actually, the Surface 2 seems to be about the same price, or maybe less.

I'm a Windows/PC guy myself, but is there any reason not to go with an iPad plus stylus and keyboard?

Jeff

Asus Transformer Book T100

I have had the Android version of this Asus (TF101) for 2 years, but really need MS Office, not a limited clone; the home and student version is bundled free with this. The integrated keyboard is very stable and comfortable- I use it on my lap on the train.

It uses full Windows 8.1 and has USB 3.0, a microSD card slot, micro USB, and micro HDMI. Battery life is 11 hours. It supports WiDi, so can display wirelessly to a suitably equipped TV.

What has surprised me is that so far all my old XP programs run trouble free.
    Art Rage was one of the first programs I bought (upgraded to 4), having missed it on the Android. It is stunning.

amazon.com are selling the 64Gb version for $369.

this is a fast modern tablet with a great display (though fewer apps than IOS or Android)
    But it seems to me to be also a fully functional windows PC, running both ancient and modern Windows software, not least the latest version of Office.

I was lucky that this came out in November just when I needed a new tablet.

Question for you, cliveh (or anyone else using the Asus Transformer T100):

Can you rest your palm on the screen without marking on the picture or causing the image to zoom or move?

I went into Best Buy tonight to test this out, but they had sold out of the Transformer. I messed around with some other tablets, and resting my palm on the screen and then using a stylus or finger on the screen caused all manner of palm-painting, zooming, and canvas moving--instead of painting.

Then I tried the Microsoft Surface Pro 2 and their Fresh Paint program and stylus. Their "palm-blocking technology" allowed me to rest my palm right on the screen and then paint perfectly with the stylus, with no unwanted results. It was very steady and nice.

If you can't put your palm on the screen of the Asus Transformer, where do you rest your palm? On the edge of the frame?

Thank you.

Jeff

I have the Dell Venue Pro, which is Windows based. It is great and at a very good price also, an lots of packages. Check it out at Dell and if you are a Walmart fan they carry the Pro now also. Personally I got mine from Dell. Let us know which way you go.

An alternative you might consider is to buy a small Wacom Bamboo (or any other small graphics tablet): You can easily connect it to any Android Tablet with a USB OTG cable or adapter. On my Nexus 10 it worked right out of the box (incl. pressure dynamics). I actually prefer it over a Galaxy Note etc because I really dont like to draw on glass. The downside is that you have to carry 2 devices, but the small bamboos are pretty lightweight. Similarly, you can connect any keyboard to your Android device with an USB OTG adapter. There are some cheap portable ones available. This should be a lot cheaper compared to the 1,100-2,000$ pricetag of the detachable notebook/tablets.

Thanks, you guys.

The one I'm really looking at now is the Asus Transformer T100.

I like the price ($399) and the included keyboard.

It's not a pressure-sensitivity-enabled tablet, but I've been researching capacitive styluses that aren't big and blunt like fingertips (I like this one: http://www.amazon.com/GoSmart-Stylus.../dp/B008I9EXVM), and I'm thinking of trying this doohickey (http://glydewrite.com/) or this glove (http://www.thehandglider.com/) to allow me to rest my hand on the tablet even though the Asus doesn't have palm-rejection.

My next-best option is to purchase the Surface Pro 2 and additional keyboard, which is getting me up to $1,200. Better to pay $450 for all this gear including the tablet, eh?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Gerke View Post
    Question for you, cliveh (or anyone else using the Asus Transformer T100):

Can you rest your palm on the screen without marking on the picture or causing the image to zoom or move?

I went into Best Buy tonight to test this out, but they had sold out of the Transformer. I messed around with some other tablets, and resting my palm on the screen and then using a stylus or finger on the screen caused all manner of palm-painting, zooming, and canvas moving--instead of painting.....

If you can't put your palm on the screen of the Asus Transformer, where do you rest your palm? On the edge of the frame?
    I use Art Rage sitting down comfortably with the keyboard open so my fingers or stylus do go directly from above onto the screen - have not experienced any manner of disruption. To test out your experience I removed the keyboard and rested my palm on the black strip below the actual screen - again had no disruption. In fact I had to try hard even to get both a palm and a finger on the screen. Of course there can be all sorts of ways both of sitting down and of holding the tablet so I can't be certain that this will apply under all circumstances.

T100

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Gerke View Post
    Thanks, you guys.

The one I'm really looking at now is the Asus Transformer T100.

I like the price ($399) and the included keyboard.

It's not a pressure-sensitivity-enabled tablet, but I've been researching capacitive styluses that aren't big and blunt like fingertips......

My next-best option is to purchase the Surface Pro 2 and additional keyboard, which is getting me up to $1,200. Better to pay $450 for all this gear including the tablet, eh?

Jeff
    Now I am using the T100 everyday, I really underestimated the benefits of this amazing device. Essentially it is a completely normal PC except for the lack of a hard drive, running all manner of XP software. Crucially it comes with the latest version of Office, so no constant worries about functionality and compatibility as with the clones on Android. But it also is a tablet, albeit that there are not many apps available. It works well for the online sports channel I follow, and when projected on a large TV display it generates a much higher resolution than what you see on the tablet itself. I had not realised that Windows 8.1 on a tablet allows two windows to be open at once side by side. With an application like Art Rage it really comes into its own as this is not simply a tablet app, but a much more powerful PC app that you get the full benefit from within a tablet form factor.

The "keyboard" is not simply a keyboard, it also has a USB3 socket and hence a vast array of connectivity. A cheap USB DVD writer works at once, for example. The micro-USB charging socket can like an Android, be made into a full but low power USB socket with a cheap On the Go adapter.

Some people find the tablet size screen a bit small for running PC applications, and some icons do turn out very small - I then use the mouse cursor to get accuracy on those. But that is probably the only significant negative.