Page 78 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast

Thread: Stevemawmv's Gallery (Shared Reflections.....)

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    WOW, what a perfect ear! Now we may whisper sweet words to such a charming lady ...
    Thanks Caesar....It is a nice ear, its from Rachael....But may not be staying, I've got two votes for 'No Ears'....
    But I just may post that old Rachael painting though, don't think I ever did outside of WIP forum..
    Take care...

I think I'am leaning towards the 'With Ear' version....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	183000B.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	227.7 KB 
ID:	82092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19EARUSETHIS.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	82102  
    Last edited by stevemawmv; 07-25-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Voted "Woman o' tha 'Ear" by all me mates and art aficionados in me sweet assylum. Vermeer ain't got nuffink on ye, 'e don't. 'E only did 'er an solitairy pearl earrin'.
    D Akey.....
    'Ear ye go mate....an solitairy pearl earrin' is all I kin muster as well, just managed ta nick tha'one! I care not be muckin'bout these back streets at night...be'in so
    close ta'the loony bin as we'arh!....Me thinks she won't be needin'em anyway....But that one sure would of look swell hangin'on that one sweet ear! 'Ear.. give a look see....
    Sorry, that was terrible ....This is harder then it looks!
    Take care....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EARRING.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	221.1 KB 
ID:	82094  

She's got a very nice ear too though ... now with the pearl added is even magnificent, Veermer Beautiful!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Hi Steve I don't Know why but I don't feel happy with it ??? DOZDRAWSKI

Yeah, definitely not something to sport in the back alleys at night. Heh. However this is one of those rarities where they abscond with the girl and leave behind the ear and earring. Well, hopefully they will all be re-united someday.

The painting of the pearl is exquisite! Really great. May not be so easy the first time you do it, but you did it exactly right in that you took it all the way so you know how the lighting and color works when rendering it. And so you could use that sense you gained in other contexts. There may come a time when you change your style to more painterly and from knowing how to do it this way and the components therein, you will be able to take it down to a few strokes. Conversely, if you get tighter, you will know how to do that since now you've done it. Representing shapes and textures of various types will pay off when the context changes and you have to 'fake it'. This is really nice. You should be quite pleased with it. And the pain of taking time to do it will soon pass.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Pai....It's been awhile, hope your well...thanks for visiting and I'am happy you like her...sorry about the ear debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    She's got a very nice ear too though ... now with the pearl added is even magnificent, Veermer Beautiful!
    Thank you, Now I don't know what to do about the ear dilemma, going to move on to the next one.
    Quote Originally Posted by eighty+ View Post
    Hi Steve I don't Know why but I don't feel happy with it ???
    Not happy with the painting, the ear, the earring or the version with no ear??? I'am confuse about which one to keep as well my friend....
    Take care you all....

I would vote for the ear and pearl earring after You painted magnifcently these two precious jewels on her .... Moreover another touch of light by the pearl may form a triangle with the other two pearls of her eyes (although one isn't visible at all (maybe a slight feeble glimpse could be seen?) ... OK, I know, it's no more time for me to express romantically, but it's probably a pavlovian reflex from good ol' times ...LOL
    Last edited by Caesar; 07-25-2014 at 08:05 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Is the ear at the correct angle? I think the ear is really well painted. Would be a shame to not use it. But context is everything. It all depends how it plays and to paint isolated elements is always risky because the choices one makes have to relate to the rest of the painting. If you did it on a separate layer, that works because it has the context of the whole. But since the colors are so different, I wonder if it wasn't a separate painting of an ear on a different head. Or maybe it was just its own study.

Great exploration though.

My recommendation, even though it's fun to get people's opinions, is to look for source pics where there are hair styles showing ears and finding something that works for you. Careful of the lighting and color. Her hair right now is pretty much a blank slate and you can do lots of things to the hair to piece in the ear and disguise that it's something of an afterthought. Good experience to try that. And you might thunk yourself on the forehead and wonder why you didn't do that in the first place. But those things only become apparent as you do them. Later after you've pieced several pics that way, you'll become really adept doing it. You'll recognize which pics would merge easily and seamlessly and select those photos to begin with as you prepare, and also what you can add to make it seem like it was that way all along. And you'll learn how to tweak those source photos to look like they're from the same shot (like turning something a bit etc.). That's knowing structure so you can plot those changes.

You're doing very good and practical studies. Believe me, when you get something (as you did when you started playing with color), it will open a whole world of possibilities to you.

Go man go!
    Last edited by D Akey; 07-26-2014 at 05:48 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks Ken for visiting, glad you're liking them....

Caesar....Good news is the ear is staying! I will try to work the 'Pearl Earring' in a painting without looking to obvious about it at a later date....

D Akey.....It's against her neck and just looks crooked...Ok, I was in a hurry...used Rachael's ear and she wouldn't sit still for it!
    Thanks for your recommendations and comments, your absolutely right and I appreciate it.
    Now on to something completely different, just no fun painting beautiful women all the time......

Thank you all again and take care,
    Steve
    Last edited by stevemawmv; 07-26-2014 at 08:26 PM.