Page 22 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: AndreaMG's Gallery ✟ Joan of Arc ✟

Looks nice Andrea. From a technical expectation of wet into wet as a painting description, I would have thought it to be less dry looking. In painting with acrylic often the process is where the paint has already dried by the time the artist comes in with the next stroke thus suggesting a layering effect as being more common. Even though acrylic can be used many ways, its quick drying nature suggests different results from water color or oil. And this to me feels like acrylic because of the hard edges of the daubs.

At least that's my understanding of wet into wet as being something of a watercolor effect wherein the paint has not dried and when new paint is laid in it bleeds together thus creating ambiguity in certain of the edges. Oil can be the same way except that frequently the edges are fanned to where one gets a blended or at least a less defined integration in spots.

There's nothing at all as a negative for this painting. I'm just observing the nature of the paint application which suggested you used a different technique than what I see. And of course, you are playing with words and concepts, where you're talking about a beautiful woman at the ocean and going from the ocean wetness and then into paint. Seeing a painting, for me, that looks physically dry, it begs the question with the word play that if the canvas it not wet, it's referring to the world outside the picture frame being where the 'life' or 'moisture' is, and a painting never can possess that degree of life, except in mythology. It could thus be seen as a concept picture. I don't know if that's where you were going with it, but you rendered her in a beautiful way almost despite the paint style limitations you've chosen for this one. It's as if you're continuing to break new ground to get a more rare look at beauty wherein the contradiction of method provides a special artistic voice.

But it's very cool as it is. I like how you've been experimenting in a search for a look that is unexpected, both with your fast linear strokes in previous paintings and this one with a more quilted, mosaic look.

Very cool.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thank you Dear D, actually I was going after that effect you mentioned (not the naughty one ), but something went wrong , maybe I should apply more color in order to obtain the smooth blending. Although the overall look is reminescent of alla prima approach even it does not have that wet look I was trying to achieve. You have to know that in latest paintings I completely changed the painting flow, now I rarely zoom in and doing so I have a better perception of the whole thing (like in real painting) and I noticed that by doing that I'm faster and the result feels more natural. Thank you again your suggestions and comments are always a treasure!!
    Last edited by AndreaMG; 02-25-2014 at 10:43 AM.

She is still a beautiful girl with all those chunky lines. Lovely painting Andrea!

Thank you so much Dear Robyn for the lovely comment I like the contrast between her beauty and the strong marks, it enhances it rather than flattening it I guess
    Last edited by AndreaMG; 02-25-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Andrea, checked out your gallery, really love your style

6. This is really lovely stuff.

I think this is terrific and really works well,
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Thanks

Thank you so much Dear Pat, Harlequin, Katie!!!

Beautiful work, AndreaMG. I learn things and get ideas just from viewing art like yours. Thanks for sharing your work.

I love quick works!

They have such immediacy and this is a lovely example.