Page 11 of 98 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: AndreaMG's Gallery ✟ Joan of Arc ✟

It looks very good
    I googled the original and you really did a great job

Hello Andrea,
    Beautiful painting you've have here, I'm quite sure John Sargent would have approved.
    Outstanding work! Also sure Miss Beatrice wouldn't have minded sitting the second
    time as well, Her appreciative parents would have thought it was worth every Morgan silver dollar
    spent on it. But, it could have been a gift to Mrs Townsend?
    Well done, my friend!
    Staying home and getting
    better, was the right medicine.
    The proof is in the painting you
    have here!
    Best wishes,
    Steve

'SURPRISE' You might like:http://forums.artrage.com/attachment...5&d=1389159007
    Last edited by stevemawmv; 01-08-2014 at 07:32 PM.

"And your little dog too!" .....

Really high quality. I would consider this an interpretation using a different medium that behaves similar but slightly differently. I think you have the essence of Sergeant's style though -- the painterly quality without too much fussy detail.

I think the major difference for me is in the bravura brushstrokes, and that's only different because of the inherent limitations of the marks based on the available brushes -- at least in so far as I can see. I am not thoroughly aware of the available brushes, nor how difficult they are to adjust to reflect the character of actual real world brushes that Sergeant would use. So unless one is trying to create a perfect forgery, it works quite nicely as you've done it.

And the most important thing is that you have tools for your own work that you can apply as your own when you go to that stage with it. In this case where you're copying, I would compare the two paintings to two performances of the same piece by two different artists like Segovia vs. Julian Bream. I don't know which guitarist would have played Alhambra first, but I would bet that whichever one played it second would have listened to and been influenced by the predecessor. Each version has its own quality.

Fantastic skill you're demonstrating. Thanks for sharing it.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Andrea, Mrs Townsend by JSS is terrific

Wonderful work
    Silvia Bandini

Sorry for my english...
    Click for my gallery
    Click for my Blog
    Click for my deviant

Hai lavorato superbamente ad afferrare il tocco special di Sargent, caro Andrea! Complimenti per una così impressionante interpretazione di questo famoso ritratto! Stranamente anch'io, tempo fa ero stato colpito da quel maestro e tentato di imparare copiandolo. Ecco qui la prova.

You worked superbly here to grab Sargent's special touch, dear Andrea! Congratulations for such an awful interpretation of this famous portrait! Curiously I was struck too, some time ago, by that master and tried to learn by copying him. Here's the evidence.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LadyAgnew-SargentCopy.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	412.3 KB 
ID:	78767  
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Thank you so much SilverO, justjean, silvy, glad you liked it! This time around I had fun doing the job

Thanks Steve for all of your support! Maybe it was a gift to her, who knows? High society liked to be portrayed, nowadays we have smartphones to capture us, back then they had Sergeant...

Thanks DAkey! Artrage for what I can see mimics the real thing very well but of course it's not there yet (and as far as I know any other program...), but you can come pretty close. A perfect forgery it's not possible because of the limitations of the references images, the limitations of the program and last but not least the limitations of the painter. That said just coping takes away all the fun so I tried to use a lot of knife just to experiment a bit. I also discovered that a lot of figurative painters, before "getting heavy" with evident brushstrokes or with the knife, set up the painting with almost all the details, but I don't think it's cheating, the final result is what really matters!
    Last edited by AndreaMG; 01-07-2014 at 04:47 AM.

Thanks Dear Caesar, so glad you liked it, I was struck as well! Thanks for sharing yours, it's awesome! Is it done in Artrage too?

Beautifully done Andrea.