Page 1 of 98 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: AndreaMG's Gallery ✟ Joan of Arc ✟

Cool AndreaMG's Gallery ✟ Joan of Arc ✟

Opening my thread/gallery with the gift from the lovely Lady Katie/Coops. Thank you ^^

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	andrea gallery.jpg 
Views:	625 
Size:	359.8 KB 
ID:	80649

Hi Everyone. This is my first work with ArtRage (previously I used procreate+ipad). It's done with intuos pro m in 8 hours (no tracing). I had some trouble with her hair so I went to the stylized route
    EDIT: I was not happy with my first painting so I heavily modified it, first of all I cheated using the transformation tools to get more correct proportions , then I used a lot of frost knife and airbrush tools on her face to achieve maximum realism and finally I redid entirely her hair... Hope you like it

Click on the picture for larger view

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avril Spikes.jpg 
Views:	768 
Size:	485.5 KB 
ID:	77880
    Last edited by AndreaMG; 06-05-2017 at 05:13 AM.

Beautiful women's heads are very difficult until one has the knack, and you did a very nice job on her indeed. You even made her moist and sparkly upping the 'glam' quotient.

Really very fashionably attractive.

As to hair, I would think in terms of planes and shapes. It helps to give it form plus it's easier to get a handle on what is happening with it -- rules of lighting and so on still apply. And you can then subdivide strategically.

Anyway, this one's a pip! Great job on a beautiful actress.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Great job on a beautiful actress.
    Thanks for the tips! Avril is so beautiful, I'm glad you think I made her justice

ooh Avril Lavigne, It looks very nice.
    I like how you painted the metal

Not the Statue of Liberty I guess, although there's some likeness in the crown ... LOL Fantastic portrait and I apologize for not being too familiar with some cute actresses You and SilverO took as a reference herein. Welcome and congratulations.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Very nice indeed!!!
    Obviously it was a smooth transition into Artrage, and this proves it! This is very good and full of life and I'm
    Looking forward to your next one.

Steve

Thanks SilverO, metal is soo easy to reproduce. Caesar Thanks for the compliments You're right it resembles the statue of liberty! Thanks for the nice comments stevemawmv. Between I don't have anything against traicing but all my work is done only by looking from reference images, I wish I was able to paint with no reference at all using only my imagination... That said I think that "copying" something (without tracing) brings something of your style into the picture. This is only the beginning I HAVE GREAT PLANS I just ordered a 27 samsung monitor for my primary display and then I will get a 22 touch screen as a secondary monitor only for the reference image and the pods in order to be able to concentrate more on the actual drawing. Stay tuned for my next works!

Working out of your head is good too, but knowing how to creatively work with reference is a neat trick.

First you learn how to make things look real (which then frees you up to later make unreal things look real as well because you're learning how light and color and texture work).

Then it's also hard to paint things without reference, at least if you're painting realistically. And even if you are putting a lot of things together that weren't together in the real world, you can still apply it all to a style or technique and translate it into a consistent finish. (example, if you key everything to blue and green. You still would know how to make it read properly.)

I understand what you mean though that you don't want to just reproduce photographs as they appear in the photo. But remember that using reference is still legitimate, even as merely a starting point from which you can deviate.

Nothing is wasted.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks for the tips Dakey! Little by little learning from real life I will find my way

D Akey has some great tips and I agree,with her hair I think larger clumps and less strands of hair(detail).Awesome work on her likeness and I dig her crown lol
    Creating from the mind can be the hardest thing of all,and takes lots of practice.Keep up the good work!