ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Dragon, Damsel and Distress

1. Dragon, Damsel and Distress

This is the first comic I illustrated in ArtRage Studio 4. The primary linework and lettering is done using other software, while the painting and final linework is done in ArtRage.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragon, Damsel and Distress.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	77302

I love that! What a witty story, and beautifully illustrated. I finished reading with the dawning realisation he's a 'hot meal', and smiled! Well done!

Yeah, your story is excellent. Great twist!!!!

As to the art, you have a couple choices for approach to making images and you would probably want to stick to one for the purposes of continuity throughout the graphic novel if that's what you want to create as a longer range goal.

Two broad categories for most graphic novelists to chose between in doing the artwork is whether they want the line to carry the picture or the tone. This is usually safer when it gets to the printing process as the line tends to read no matter how bad the printing.

If you want the line to show everything then you may want to place the line on top of everything and tint the image more transparently, while letting the line do the work of showing what's what.

On the other hand if you want to be more painterly, you might want to consider not using line but thinking tonally wherein the values and colors establish your composition in each panel. So you might want to be thinking in how contrast serves separating the bits in the image. This can be considerably more work to do as well.

But this comic is great. Really enjoyable and everything shows what it is. It's just a matter of fine tuning.

If you can keep this level up, your work should get lots of recognition. And if you are determined, the sky's the limit. Go man go!

Let's see more please!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

5. Dragon, Damsel and Distress - thank you from Shirish

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Yeah, your story is excellent. Great twist!!!!

Two broad categories for most graphic novelists to chose between in doing the artwork is whether they want the line to carry the picture or the tone. This is usually safer when it gets to the printing process as the line tends to read no matter how bad the printing.

Let's see more please!
    Thank you for your encouraging words. They made my day!

I did this comic for a competition organized by Wacom India. So the aim was never to print the comic but to view it on screen, giving me more freedom to experiment with a wider gamut of colors and setting my own style.

I was aiming to make every frame 'painterly', painting in terms of shapes and values. But midway through the comic, I thought that applying the same to the characters will probably an overkill. So I decided to keep the characters bound by lines, and more sketchy.

But yes, your comments about making decisions about the style depending on the publishing method got me thinking in a new way, and I will definitely keep this in mind in my next works.

cheers,

Thats very clever and very well painted, well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307