ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Psycopaint and ArtRage Rooster

Psycopaint and ArtRage Rooster

Name:  1-Psykopainted2 ArtRage4.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  201.1 KB

Painted in Psycopaint and ArtRage from a photo I took of a rooster some days ago.
    My Art Blog : Pennstreck
    My Instagram: Instagram

ho ho ho the cock of the north Henry SLAINTE

I went and looked at some of the Psykopaint demos. It looks like the trick when using that program is to make it look like it's not a filter effect.

You hid the Psykopaint strictly automated looking filter appearance by bringing it a step farther into ArtRage so you can make it appear more hand done and artistically considered.

Well, it worked rather well in this instance. But I think that is in large part because you already know how to paint and how to keep it from looking like a filter. You already have an eye to bring it up to this level in which it looks like something painted from scratch. But the process is not so important as the end result. It's a nice painting. But we both know that someone who can paint could get this effect from doing a painting without the Psykopaint step. That is merely a way to take the 'starting point' into a different arena than a direct photo, and then playing with it. Why not, eh?

Anyway, fun experiment with yet another tool out there.
    Last edited by D Akey; 10-07-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    I went and looked at some of the Psykopaint demos. It looks like the trick when using that program is to make it look like it's not a filter effect.
    You hid the Psykopaint strictly automated looking filter appearance by bringing it a step farther into ArtRage so you can make it appear more hand done and artistically considered....
    I think you misunderstood, Psycopaint is not an automated filter; you have to paint by moving yor hand just like in ArtRage or in all other software. It works exactly like tracing images in ArtRage by picking up the source images colours. This is quite frequently done in ArtRage and thats the way Psycopaint works too. I just tested Psycopaint and will not use it any more. I think this way of turning photos into "Art" is nothing for me. I just made a test and wanted to show the result...

Why don't you give it a test too?

Hi Henry,

I am not particularly interested in it either. I think I got my curiosity satisfied looking at these tutorials. If it does other things, that's great. But these first three tutorials that I came upon in YouTube looked to me like hand controlled filter effects. And it looks like software I saw a decade or more ago. And I wish the developers success because there are doubtless people out there who could enjoy something like this.

Curiosity is good and it was nice of you to bring it here for people to see. But since you did, I looked and gave feedback on my impression from the tutorials. I am always reluctant to start loading my computer up with software that might be hard to clean off if I don't want it. (Example is that I bought a PC Emulation software for the MAC called Parallels that later proved to be the cause of lots of Colonel Panics in many computers including mine and caused me lots of time and money lost and took me forever to discover that was the reason. There were little files from it strewn throughout my computer as well even after I tried deleting it.) So taking into consideration my reluctance to just install programs on my computer for fun, with Psykopaint, what I saw in those tutorials really didn't make me want to even try it. But it's always good to see what's happening out there.

And I am not saying Psychopaint in any way harms computers or not. It's probably stable. You may have had fun painting a rooster with it. I'm just chicken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKn042-zw8o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnPlLFGDhas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv-LNSaQvSI
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

So gorgeously colorful! Fantastic!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    .... And I am not saying Psychopaint in any way harms computers or not. It's probably stable.....
    Psycopaint is an online paint program, no need to install it Probably created using Adobe software and running Adobe Air, so stable...I guess must be.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Stahle View Post
    Psycopaint is an online paint program, no need to install it Probably created using Adobe software and running Adobe Air, so stable...I guess must be.
    Interesting. Yeah, when I had gone to their site it asked if I wanted to download it so I assumed it was a traditional installation. I've not run anything like Air before. That technology in itself is interesting. Not appealing but interesting. Sounds like it would open a backdoor onto my computer. But it's just guessing how wide the opening is though I suppose it's not unlike the internet. Anyway, it's all nice to know. Thanks again. And those features of that program are something some people like no doubt. Sure makes it easy.
    Last edited by D Akey; 10-08-2013 at 03:51 AM.

Henry, I went in and had a play with it, and it is quite clever. You are right, you do have to direct your brush in the right direction and work the paint. Online is good, because you don't have to install, but you do have to pay if you want extra features.

That got me thinking about the tracing method in AR, supposedly picking up the colours of the original,and whether the same effect could be reached as in Psychopaint by choosing your tool and going for it. The colour pickup in AR is not accurate at all (I hadn't used it before). Much darker and duller, and the experimental dog I did had to have major colour corrections.

Oh well, it's not something I would use, but I did enjoy having a fiddle. Thanks for sharing.