ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Help Painting Curly hair - Tracy Spiridakus

Help Painting Curly hair - Tracy Spiridakus

Hey Guys:

Im a doing a Tracy Spiridakus portrait. Right know I am cleaning up and correcting the face, but I dont have a clue on how I would do the curly hair. Not even how Im going to start. I am including a screenshot so you can see the reference image Im using and look what I am trying to achieve. Sorry for the low lightning.......Please Help!!

Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tracy draft.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	77275

just a simple tip...

Name:  1-hår.jpg
Views: 4674
Size:  139.8 KB

The hair is a mass, it has a volume, that is the most important. Start by painting the dark brown mass around her head first. Look out for the darkest part around the neck! That part makes up some of the volume. Use the paintbrush with some stiffness and paint the light brown strands, not too many. Add highlites the same way, using the stiff brush. The hilites make volume, they are often on the top of the hair, but that depends of the lighting, of course. Lastly you can add details, individual hairs here and there. This is a painterly approach. If you like manga, have alook at the manga hair painting/drawing technique.

I hope this is this of some help.
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 10-11-2013 at 08:36 PM.
    My Art Blog : Pennstreck
    My Instagram: Instagram

will give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Stahle View Post
    Name:  1-hår.jpg
Views: 4674
Size:  139.8 KB

The hair is a mass, it has a volume, that is the most important. Start by painting the dark brown mass around her head first. Look out for the darkest part around the neck! That part makes up some of the volume. Use the paintbrush with some stiffness and paint the light brown strands, not too many. Add highlites the same way, using the stiff brush. The hilites make volume, they are often on the top of the hair, but that depends of the lighting, of course. Lastly you can add details, individual hairs here and there. This is a painterly approach. If you like manga, have alook at the manga hair painting/drawing technique.

I hope this is this of some help.
    Thanks for taking the time to put together such great explanation. I will certainly try it.

J

Hi joelmpr, you might like to have a look at this lady on youtube and check out her hair video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/Stephani...rch?query=hair

She also has Photoshop hair brushes you can download and use in ArtRage, if you want to go that way. They are multiple strand brushes.

Curly hair is harder than straight. It takes a lot of practise. Tell me about it lol.

hildee, how do you get those Photoshop brushes into AR? Can teh skin tones etc. from her website be used with AR too?