Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Waiting"

Thank you Robyn, Your comment is greatly appreciated!
    Steve

OOPS!!!
    Robyn, Caesar, Marilyn Anne, Sandy and Justjean, Thank you all for your kind comments!
    "Better Late then Never"
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevemawmv View Post
    OOPS!!!
    Robyn, Caesar, Marilyn Anne, Sandy and Justjean, Thank you all for your kind comments!
    "Better Late then Never"
    Steve
    Steve, you gave them fair warning with that title. Nice pic.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

GOT ME!!!
    Thanks D Akey,
    Steve

Wonderful painting,lots to like and very well captured, interesting perspective as well.

Thanks!

Kenmo...Glad you found it interesting! I'm still trying to figure it out!
    Visited your gallery! Cool stuff, Enjoyed them all!
    Thanks!

SCP...I'm happy you liked it, thank you for your compliments! I know, 'the tilt and angle of it, I'm working on it!
    Your gallery, What can Say.....WILD!, Dug 'Em All!
    Thanks!

Steve
    Last edited by stevemawmv; 11-05-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Hi steve,

Your "Waiting" is a compelling portrait set in an unusual space, and well painted ... I want to say a few words about your bold handling of perspective ...

The art of placing objects in space so that the objects and the space appear to be in the right relation could be one definition ... I tend to see everything in a picture as weight and counterweight, so that when the space is right, all the objects in it find their own weight (this has something to do with Eastern painting) ... And in your painting, the dynamic tilt of the space points the eye to the extreme right, where almost all of the visual interest is ...

It's hard to talk about art in the abstract, so I have two examples to illustrate what I mean, both have something to do with your painting ... The first is Manet's "Bar at the Folies-Bergere"...

In Manet's painting, the barmaid stands at dead center and has a slightly dazed look on her face ... An impression is created of a lack of energy or of world-weariness in the midst of the lively scene she is facing, and which we see only because it is reflected in the large mirror behind her ... She reappears, though, as a reflected image on the extreme right side of the picture, and there her body is shown turned away and slightly bent forward, as if she is engaging in conversation with a man (who can be seen only in the mirror) ...

The right-hand side of Manet's painting is a miracle of compression, a space where perspective is reduced if not eliminated as things are pushed to the foreground ... Your portrait achieves the same sort of immediate presence, the "waiter" gazes out and directly into the viewer's eyes ... We fix on her expression first, and read the painting from right to left ... Beyond her is an empty, almost weightless space, the legs of the chairs are cut off by the plane of the counter, and the white column that extends down and into the center of the painting, like an exclamation point, separates her from the room ... The sense of isolation is heightened, but she is, after all, engaging with us ...

The second point of reference is Van Gogh's "Night Cafe" ... It also shares many features of your painting ... Van Gogh's attempt to create the illusion of perspective is very deliberate in the lines of the floorboards, the walls, the ceiling, the pool table, which are meant to converge at some point at the back of the room ... But curiously, some objects appear to be floating ... For example, the chairs in the left foreground exist in a kind of warped space, there's a lot of curvature where there shouldn't be ... The disorientation is real, and it is possible Van Gogh wanted to induce vertigo in the viewer ...

I don't think you intend "Waiting" to cause dizziness ... You painted a well-rounded, three-dimensional portrait bust, and you probably wanted a rational space organized around those qualities ... As I look at how you placed your figure in space, I notice that the extreme slope of the left shoulder (on the viewer's right) suggests she is resting her right arm on the counter ... If that is so, her weight is shifted, and her body is pushing away from space around her, threatening to tumble her out of the space ... The curves of shoulder and head (which also is slightly tilted) lead the eye back into the picture ... That sort of tension adds to the visual interest ...

It's a picture with two distinct spaces: the open room left of center, and the compressed space in which the figure, the ceiling, the door (or window) and other objects co-exist ... The weightlessness of the left side is matched by the weightiness of the right ... Whether the two views balance each other is for the artist to say ...

Manet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ed...rg%C3%A8re.jpg
    Van Gogh: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vi...n_Gogh_076.jpg
    Last edited by chinapete; 11-06-2013 at 06:10 AM.
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

chinapete,

You said, 'would get back to me on this painting...and 'Good Golly', your a man of your word! and then some!
    ha-ha!
    I want to start by thanking you for your thoughts and observations on this painting. It's given me more insight in what my paintings require of me when they are being realised! 'be it family, children or how I'm going to express the current mood being experienced, in a painting.

There's usually something 'off kilter' in my stuff, backgrounds, items, but mostly my subjects, I don't want a 'posed image', I'm trying too express what I think they're feeling or what I sense they're emotions would be in putting them in these senarios when I visualise them. fact being there isn't alot of balance in my life, and that may be ending up in my paintings? Who knows? haven't explored it that much.

I think E.Hopper has influence me the most, I'm getting more and more lonely,depressed looking people in my paintings!
    'Automat'

Again my friend, Thank
    you so much!
    Made my Day,
    Steve

P.S....…douard Manet has always been one of my 'favorite painters'
    'Bar at the Folies-Bergere'...You nailed it for me, it's a favorite of mine!

Quote Originally Posted by stevemawmv View Post
    ... There's usually something 'off kilter' in my stuff ...
    That's one of your strong points! ...

ps: I used to live not far from Hopper House in Nyack, NY ... That was many years ago, when he wasn't among my favorites, but even then, I always liked that slanted barber's pole in front of those row houses ... He's kind of grown on me since then, it's more the pure quality of light in his pictures than the content that gets my attention ... It was very daring back then to fill large areas of a canvas with nothing but light when the goal was realism ...
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio