ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Animation project

Animation project

Name:  himmelsfärd2.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  41.3 KB

I have made some animations using ArtRage and Painter for original art, characters, backgrounds and such. For animation assembling I used MonkeyJam, AnimeStudio and Zu3D. Making a concept, a script, storyboard and all the grapics takes time. Assembling to make things move and sound is the real fun part of animation. It also takes a lot of time.

I am in no hurry. It's a hobby and in March I will be a pensioneer. Then I will have plenty of time. I already have plenty of software and a good computer. I alredy have ArtRage and Painter to get that painterly, organic look that I love. Vector animation does not interest me much.

This image is a concept sketch for a new animation (painted in Painter and ArtRage).
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 09-21-2013 at 08:43 AM.
    My Art Blog : Pennstreck
    My Instagram: Instagram

I really admire Your determination as well as the art and characters You displayed so far. I wish I could have the same attitude as a pensioneer (which would take seven more years to become in the shortest case, I'm afraid). Best wishes for Your project, dear mate!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

I like the idea of this commuter. No longer commuting to work but rather into his imagination and personal industry. Above the traffic jams. Very nice.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Good very fun and cool image
    Visit my website here

I am just testing...

Testing Wheel motion.
    I can not show an animated gif-file in this forum, so this is a link to my blog.

This basic rotating motion is very easy to make. I have made all graphic parts on separate layers in ArtRage. So exporting them as separate files like "front Wheel" and "rear Wheel" makes it easy to import these files separatly in to Anime Studio in the same order. There you make things move using tweening. The first wheel position is at 0o and the last at 360o. The program renders all frames automaticly between the first and last frame (36 frames).

Name:  1-Skärmklipp.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  93.9 KB

In this pic you can see the front Wheel in Anime Studio and it's bounding box that is used to manipulate the graphic, like rotating it, in this case.
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 09-27-2013 at 08:15 PM.

I used to do animation in Photoshop 6 years ago, and remember 'tweening' really well. Must have another play.

I love your picture Henry.

7. Last year I made a little animation loop using just Art Rage. The process was to make a drawing, export 001.png, make a change, export 002.png... repeat 80 times, then assemble the frames into an animated GIF.

http://bus-tops.com/work/3788/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Tiffany View Post
    Last year I made a little animation loop using just Art Rage. The process was to make a drawing, export 001.png, make a change, export 002.png... repeat 80 times, then assemble the frames into an animated GIF.

That was a nice surprise. Very clever.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Monkey Jam or Zu3D

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Tiffany View Post
    Last year I made a little animation loop using just Art Rage. The process was to make a drawing, export 001.png, make a change, export 002.png... repeat 80 times, then assemble the frames into an animated GIF.
    That is what I have been doing too, sometimes more than 10 seconds =240 separate pngs ( at 24 fps). Mostly in computer animations you can do with just 12 images per second and use duoble images as I do in Monkey Jam (free pencil test software). I also use Zu3D for pencil test, it isnot free, but very cheap. It comes with unlimed video/stills tracks as well as unlimited audio tracks. Both softs are well designed for stopmotion animations. It is really made for kids, but since it is very easy to use, and has a lot of great functions, it is worth every €.

A screen capture of Zu3D:

Name:  Fånga-1.png
Views: 521
Size:  94.0 KB
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 09-29-2013 at 10:09 PM.

ArtRage is the right thing for animation originals

Name:  docka.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  95.0 KB

This is just one of my animation experiments using ArtRage and Anime Studio 9.5. Since you can import layered Photoshop files directly to Anime Studio, ArtRage makes the best software for me to make originals. Well, I use Painter too, but ArtRage is so quick and easy... The ilustration shows the initial character sketch. Next, the ArtRage originals. Since the animation style is "cut-out" I have to design every body part that will be animated, each on separate layers. So I have to paint the left hand on one layer, the right hand on another layer. Left upper arm on one, left under leg on another, two layers for the feet, and so on. Using the tracing function in ArtRage makes it simple, just like the duplicate layer function does. I also give each layer a unique name in ArtRage. After finishing the painting I export it as a Photoshop file and import it to Anime Studio. As you can see all the layers are there with their names and all made in ArtRage.

After that it is time to start animating..
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 10-04-2013 at 09:37 AM.