ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Signature on artwork

Signature on artwork

I was just wondering what your thoughts were about your signatures on your artworks. I always sign my artworks manually and have developed a style for it. When I see a signature that uses fonts, and this is my opinion only, that it makes it look, well " computurized ". I have seen some great hand signed sigs on a lot of artworks here and they add such a pleasant aspect. Not too fond of using fonts, again just my personal preference. TJ

It's not signed unless it's by your hand, in my opinion.

I like to sign my prints individually, so each one is unique, in a way.

I took the easy route and I write my sig with the pencil in ArtRage when I think my painting is finished

I usually try to just sign it manually with digital pencil or paint or whatever, but with something like fan art. I like to add the title of the original artist in... so it might say "Fan Art of <insert awesome mangaka artist/video game> done in honor..." by MJ Sparks (or MJS) and the Date.

In those instances I use a font for everything except my name.

I don't think I do

I don not think I put my signature on any of my illustrations. But if I do and if it is a digital piece I probably use the computer, often some of a "Pizzadude" font that I like (I bought quite a lot of them). A signature must be very discrete, that is what I think.
    My Art Blog : Pennstreck
    My Instagram: Instagram

I drew my sig by hand then made a stencil from it. To me, just using a font would be in bad taste and uncool. Even though I use a stencil it's hand drawn so I don't feel that's cheating.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Yeah, I don't have one opinion about it. I like a good signature. I think it says a lot about the level of skill. Printmakers and graphic designers use signatures in blocks like a stamp. That can also have a nice visual quality. But prints are intended by design for replication so it rather fits.

When I did a cartoon for a newspaper I used a pre-done signature that I just copied and pasted. It was convenient, but more than that it was consistent and kept it as something of a logo. It was recognizable as the same from one time to the next.

If I was more clever, I would have come up with a good hand done signature. I was just not particularly adept at it. And I didn't do gallery paintings so it wasn't something I practiced a lot. Also the other kind of art I did -- commercial art did not call for a signature, in fact it was not wanted in many cases because the clients did not want to pay to promote me, but rather their product.

Show me a good signature though and I admire it. I think if one has a crap signature it would be better to copy and paste a good version because a bad signature hurts the picture in my estimation and can make an otherwise good picture look amateurish.
    Last edited by D Akey; 09-23-2013 at 06:37 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Hidden signature

Name:  avve.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  44.4 KB

I have been engaged in, and I still am, in interactive design, illustrating and graphic design, and have never used my signature on a single piece of art in that business. Not because it is less work or less art than in ”Fine Art”, but because it is not common to visible sign your work. Sometimes you have your name written in some hidden place in the game, in the print or on the Internet site. Sometimes you get credists. Mostly not. Mostly just money. But there may remain a digital signature inside the digital file, not visible but in the files properties.

Right now I am working on many hundreds of images for a new game. Not a single one bears my visible signature. The pink rabbit is one of those. No signature visible since it is no Art. It is game graphic. Nothing else.
    My Art Blog : Pennstreck
    My Instagram: Instagram