ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ArtRage Watercolour Painting

ArtRage Watercolour Painting

Name:  pinnaso.jpg
Views: 1875
Size:  64.9 KB

This picture is made for a postcard print. All ArtRage 4. Printed size 150 x 210 mm 300 dpi.
    My Art Blog : Pennstreck
    My Instagram: Instagram

As usual, this is quite nice. Your style works well with what ArtRage provides. Can you go into your methods a little bit here? I don't know, for example, perhaps – How you are using layers and how many of them? What tools you might be using? If you are importing any textures to the experience? It looks like perhaps you have one layer for your wet watercolors that have a softer edge, and perhaps another layer that you are using for the drier, harder edged watercolor effects. I noticed the difference in particular on his nose, where the light source is strongest

I also noticed that you have these nice splatter marks on the paper simulating the experience of rain. I was wondering if you got that from an imported texture, or perhaps from a stencil you made? Or perhaps it is just a sticker spray that I have not tried yet?
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Looks great

Very cute and clever Henry. Love the light bulb!

What a delight! Dear Henry, You're a mine of inspiration and pleasure with Your experiments and lovely outcomes!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

As simple as this

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    As usual, this is quite nice. Your style works well with what ArtRage provides. Can you go into your methods a little bit here? I don't know, for example, perhaps – How you are using layers and how many of them? What tools you might be using? If you are importing any textures to the experience? It looks like perhaps you have one layer for your wet watercolors that have a softer edge, and perhaps another layer that you are using for the drier, harder edged watercolor effects. I noticed the difference in particular on his nose, where the light source is strongest

I also noticed that you have these nice splatter marks on the paper simulating the experience of rain. I was wondering if you got that from an imported texture, or perhaps from a stencil you made? Or perhaps it is just a sticker spray that I have not tried yet?

This is my simple method:

1. I scan my graphite drawing and import it as a new image in AR.
    2. That graphite drawing layer is always the top layer using "myltiply" layering method.
    3. The canvas is set to White and no lighting. A watercolour paper that I scanned is my grain.
    4. I paint on a new layer on top of the canvas, but under the graphite drawing layer.
    5. I add new layers, mostly "multiply" to paint on top of the main paint layer. I drop the layer to the one below very often, to have just one layer to work on.
    6. I use a wet WC brush most of the time.
    7. The splatter is from some abr.brush I picked up somewhere and used for some effect. So - yes, it is a "sticker brush" I have used for splatter.
    8. The highlight is made by using the pen tool.
    9. the rain strokes are made using the pencil tool.
    10. I use the Wet Blender Palette Knife to get rid of some edges, to have a more watery look.

So: mostly I use just one layer to paint on. If I need Another i drop it as soon as possible...as few layers as possible is what I like. Thanks for asking. Hope you understand how I am doing it...

justjean & copespeak: good of you to comment...

I will probably be back with some more postcard paintings soon...about the same style as this.

Really cute!

Wonderful child like viewpoint.

I am still a child inside..

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Anne View Post
    Wonderful child like viewpoint.
    I am still a child inside. Love childrens pictures books, making them and reading them. Sometimes they are the best works of art that I know. Thank you for your comment

Perfect. Nothing is missing. Rich technique and the end result evokes a fanciful, childlike tone. This may be one of my favorites I've seen of yours. Great use of color. It enhances the line work.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Another one about this season over here...

Name:  1-huset på höjden.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  86.6 KB

ArtRage. No sticker this time, just the WaterColour tool... and thank you D Akey...nice of you to write such a thing...
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 09-24-2013 at 06:52 AM.