ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Old paper test, removed, then reposted.

Old paper test, removed, then reposted.

Name:  Tree on old paper blk.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  86.3 KB

The version that I liked.
    Last edited by Gms9810; 09-21-2013 at 09:45 AM.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

I think it's brilliant. Very resourceful. And to excellent effect too. Nothing wrong, as you say, with taking your time now that you know just how well this works for you.

--------------
    Response to your removing the pic and new comment:
    Which part of this post made you think I said it was really bad? I've tried to re-read what I wrote trying to see it from that point of view. I don't get it.

If it's disappointment at not having a lot of people responding, welcome to being an artist. Since they probably don't teach this in the lessons to learn how to sketch, I'll provide this nugget: You have to develop a thick skin. If you don't you'll be putting yourself through it time and again.
    Last edited by D Akey; 09-19-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I saw the artwork, maybe just a glitch. Post artwork again. Don't think it was removed on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    I think it's brilliant. Very resourceful. And to excellent effect too. Nothing wrong, as you say, with taking your time now that you know just how well this works for you.

--------------
    Response to your removing the pic and new comment:
    Which part of this post made you think I said it was really bad? I've tried to re-read what I wrote trying to see it from that point of view. I don't get it.

If it's disappointment at not having a lot of people responding, welcome to being an artist. Since they probably don't teach this in the lessons to learn how to sketch, I'll provide this nugget: You have to develop a thick skin. If you don't you'll be putting yourself through it time and again.
    No, you're always positive and helpful. I had two versions, I liked one more than the other. I ended up posting the one I didn't like as well but I thought it looked older and more creative. I'll repost the one I liked later today.

Things are insanely hectic here right now. My mother in law's health has deteriorated to the point where we had to put her in a home Saturday. The doctors and nurses are saying she has about 2 weeks left. I think she has more. She manipulates people and is giving us a fit. My wife is a nervous wreck, not sleeping at night and throwing up all day. We, the two of us, have to get rid of all of her junk, which is what it is. She's a hoarder and has boxes and piles of junk. My wife and I both have messed up backs and arthritis so it's going to be hell. It's 10:15 am now and I have a client at 11:00 or I'd post it now. I actually liked the one I haven't posted yet. The lack of responses wouldn't have been a problem except I didn't like this version and doubted myself.

Yikes. Sending good thoughts your way.

Yeah, well I really liked the one you had posted. But glad you are going to post at least one of them. It's a cool trick using the old paper as the paper. I found that the 'multiply' blend mode is always great for this kind of thing because it becomes perfectly transparent like a tint and thus integrates itself with the layer underneath seamlessly.

I also usually have to adjust the transparency lest the darks that get created overwhelm the whole effect. But it's very reasonable to use the paper. . . and other materials like fabric as a ground, or if you want to stain a carpet in a picture or something where it's thin rather than thick like from mud on the soles of the shoes where you don't see the carpet through the dense mud. Multiply leaves the texture of the carpet for example.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Sometimes the 'core group' of people who generously post comments are busy elsewhere and don't have time to write anything. Also, your timing can be out and they're all in bed. I remember you posting something, but had heaps on my mind that day, and too mentally tired to post. It takes time and energy to think of a warm constructive comment for sometimes around 20 posts per day.

Keep posting George! Your work is getting so good, and you're constantly thinking about the next project. It's been really wonderful watching that progression.

I didn't mind not getting many replies, sometimes an image will be posted for 3 days before it get's noticed. I just mistrusted my initial feeling.

Excellent! The look You got is the mood it expresses and You composed this image masterfully .
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Thats really good and reminds me of a long lost drawing, well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307