ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How to save an inverted stencil?

How to save an inverted stencil?

So, I'm trying to make a stencil pack of watercolor salt washes to share, but am having a helluva time doing it. I've imported the images, made them black and white, saved them as png's, imported them again, inverted them, and then..... how do I save the inverted stencil in its inverted state? Basically, I want to have a stencil that lets me erase where it's currently "empty" or white on my imported image, instead of paint there. I tried saving the stencil after inverting it, but it just saved the non-inverted stencil. Any ideas on this one???
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Hi Steve. What you want to do here is reverse the black and white parts in the image you're creating your stencil from.

You could start a blank painting, making sure that your canvas is white, then load your stencil, invert it, paint over it with black, then export the resulting painting ( with the lighting turned off to avoid any texture ) as a PNG in order to get an image you can create the inverted stencil from.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Ahhhhh, yes, that would work. A little convoluted, but achievable. Would be nice to be able to save the stencil in its inverted form, for what it's worth. . I'll follow your steps, and I can see now how I would get the proper results. Thanks!
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/