ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vector layers and tools like in Manga Studio 5

Vector layers and tools like in Manga Studio 5

Hi folks,

I would love to see vector layers and tools coming to ArtRage, similar to Manga Studio 5.

Michael

Those would be a dream indeed. Not to mention those guidelines.
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

If the Artrage developers are ever thinking about something like this, then I think it is the right time. Somehow the developers of MS5, Celsys, removed the ability from Smith Micro to sell the digital versions. They wanna have the cake themself. Personally I don't wanna buy physical versions of software anymore for various reasons. And I don't wanna buy software from Japan, from a developer that put their greedy facemask on, now that the program is beocming more and more popular.
    ArtRage was my first love before MS5 hit the market. The big difference to me are the vector layers and tools. If ArtRage could pull that off, with a responsive drawing engine, then they might have a winner.

Would it be possible to get some official thoughts about if vectors are on ArtRage roadmap somehow?

I wouldn't object to seeing a type of vector styled ink layer added to the program. Most especially if it has the same ease of as Paint Tool Sai's "Ink Layer", with similar features (such as the ability to increase/decrease the width of a line at any of the points).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I wouldn't mind something like this, but honestly I'm far more interested in seeing the brush engine grow more.

What I'd really like to see, and that MS 5/ Clip Studio Paint is demonstrating so well, is

1) Powerful and flexible perspective guidelines
    2) the ability to zoom, pan, rotate, and interact with buttons without ever making an errant mark. On a tablet, I can do this now with CSP and it's amazing. It's clear they've coded something so that Touch is never for drawing and only really for interacting with the program itself. It's genius, and I wish AR had it.

Sorry for going OT there....
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

I agree with the guidelines. In MS5 it's a dream !
    especially those special guides like the one for making ripples in the water, well all of the guides there are great !
    (but I keep returning to ArtRage for most of the other work...

But in the vector layers, we must not forget the eraser! it can delete parts of the line that crosses another, or the complete line if wanted.This would be a much favoured feature for me !!!

the organic and natural feel...?

I use ArtRage for the organic feel, it is more or less like "the real thing", painting with oils, watercolor, chalk et cetera... My opinion is not to go more digital by adding vectors of any kind. That will ruin the whole natural feel and idea of ArtRage. It will become just another software.

There already are good vector based draw programs, like the ones mentioned, so why not use them and instead support the development of even better "natural feel and look" tools? I would like that a 1000 times more than vectors. IMHO the graphite pencil be improved, a better oil pastel, the ink pen can do with some improvement and so on...

Keep ArtRage unique..!

By the way: "And I don't wanna buy software from Japan, from a developer that put their greedy facemask on..." that is not very polite to say. CelSys protect some of their functions, just like other software companies do. Japanese peolple or companies are nor more greedy than others. That's what I think. My favourite photo editing/RAW converter (Silkypix) is japanese and cheap and very good...no greed there..
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 09-17-2013 at 07:44 PM.
    My Art Blog : Pennstreck
    My Instagram: Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Stahle View Post
    I use ArtRage for the organic feel, it is more or less like "the real thing", painting with oils, watercolor, chalk et cetera... My opinion is not to go more digital by adding vectors of any kind. That will ruin the whole natural feel and idea of ArtRage. It will become just another software.

There already are good vector based draw programs, like the ones mentioned, so why not use them and instead support the development of even better "natural feel and look" tools? I would like that a 1000 times more than vectors. IMHO the graphite pencil be improved, a better oil pastel, the ink pen can do with some improvement and so on...

Keep ArtRage unique..!
    I completely agree.

Honestly, I also really agree. It's not that I don't think Vectors are a perfectly functional tool, it's just that I would like to see ArtRage develop further it's natural media emulation. I still think we could get better, more expressive tools, and I would like to see that pushed further first. I agree that the pen could, for example, interact more aggressively with paper texture, or the watercolor tool would be able to do washes and move within water better, and Drybrush work for that matter too. I would like to see tilt and rotation integrated into more of the tools in general- particularly things like the pencil, or the palette knife. I'd like to see a flathead watercolor brush. Stuff like that.

Anyways, it's not that I disagree with the notion that this would be a fine tool to have, it's just that there are so many other things ArtRage is pushing towards, that no other program seems to be approaching, thatt I would like to see developed more first. For what it's worth…
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/