ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: A Study of the nose

A Study of the nose

A study of a nose. One of the lessons I was showing a student while teaching them how to paint and draw in ArtRage 4. Beginning art students say that this is one of the most difficult features of the face to draw. I agree, it really can be, but if broken down into shapes it's much easier to tackle.

Name:  AR noseshapes.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  85.9 KB
    Rough sketch in the shapes of the nose

Name:  AR nose2.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  95.2 KB
    Finished small study

When reading this title I wondered which aircraft front end you were doing. Hahah.

Nice, though a little Gulliver's Travels.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    When reading this title I wondered which aircraft front end you were doing. Hahah.

Nice, though a little Gulliver's Travels.
    ha! true! Well I have done nose art before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LEstWeForget-art.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	76923

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2010-06-18 at 9.01.56 AM.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	281.3 KB 
ID:	76924

Wow Fantastic work
    Visit my website here

So how the heck do you paint something like that on the outside of a jet? Is it some kind of decal or silk screen enamel process? Can't imagine it is painted directly on like the old days of propeller bombers and Betty Grable's legs.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

So how the heck do you paint something like that on the outside of a jet? Is it some kind of decal or silk screen enamel process? Can't imagine it is painted directly on like the old days of propeller bombers and Betty Grable's legs.
    That particular graphic, "Lest We Forget" was painted digitally in Photoshop (before I knew about ArtRage) and then it was sent to the printers and printed as a decal.

But before long before that one on the F-15, back in 1998, I painted by hand on 5 KC-135's and that was done with enamels which was much harder to do. For these 5 we had to have the jets inside the hangar.

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/kc135rartdj_1.htm

Name:  57-1439_92d-ARS.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  34.3 KB

Name:  58-0062_96th-ARS.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  37.9 KB

Name:  59-1464_92d-ARS.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  81.9 KB

Name:  59-1470_97-ARS.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  60-337_City-of-Spokane_97th.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  46.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sabena View Post
    Wow Fantastic work
    thanks so much! I enjoy working digitally and now with ArtRage enjoy it more.

I had just recently found my old newspaper clipping.

Name:  DaleJacksonnoseartnewspaper.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  184.6 KB

I once tried painting a logo with text and all that in a window of a store my friend just opened. This was not the kind with stencils and sponges announcing Santa Claus would be appearing in the frozen food section at Christmas. This was a permanent big picture window filling logo.

What a pain. I think the guys who were good at it were the sign painters who have developed a steady hand and knew their lettering brushes and could use mall sticks, the proper paint and so forth.

My friends, because I knew which end of a brush you dip into the paint thought I must be an expert. . . and they thought they could save a few coins having a sign done. Being cajoled into it, I did it. But what a difficult process.

I admire anyone who can. It's an art designing the image, and a trade skill when it comes to painting it. I was fine with the designing part. And I had a lot to learn in the actual painting.

I'm impressed. Nice to be recognized for a job well done. Obviously it was a success because they kept on asking for more. Well done. Thanks for sharing. You made the newspaper -- wow.

Yep, That's a nose, alright...
    My Website - SkylarArt.com
    "Beauty Draws those who Draw Beauty" - Skylar