ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I wish I could do this

I wish I could do this

I found this, found I both inspiring and annoying. I wonder if AR could do it:
    http://www.123inspiration.com/photor...-by-paul-lung/

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

I don't see any reason why it can't be done I have converted the Lynx done on the iPad to B&W to check what it would look like.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	417.7 KB 
ID:	76884
    Christine.(Paint what you see, not what you know to be there)

Artrage Magazines https://app.box.com/s/6ybcbpnu1rw3tqee40hge5eb7eag6on6

http://saphire1948.deviantart.com/gallery/

Practice makes perfect. All you need to do is get in there!

Quote Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
    I don't see any reason why it can't be done I have converted the Lynx done on the iPad to B&W to check what it would look like.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	417.7 KB 
ID:	76884
    And that was done on AR? I confess I'm very impressed. What was the original drawing size?

Quote Originally Posted by MagenSparks View Post
    Practice makes perfect. All you need to do is get in there!
    All I need is some ability.

Gms9810, The size is the maximum that Artrage can do on the iPad 2048x2048.
    The background layer was done with the Airbrush, all the fur was with the ink pen set on full taper and a size between 1&3%. I have to paint it at the maximum zoom because it makes it a bit easier for me to see what I am doing
    Christine.(Paint what you see, not what you know to be there)

Artrage Magazines https://app.box.com/s/6ybcbpnu1rw3tqee40hge5eb7eag6on6

http://saphire1948.deviantart.com/gallery/

I usually use a 3000x3000 canvas, I've not used the airbrush effectively yet but methinks I should give it another more serious try. That really is quite impressive, thanks for the help.

That comes with practice.

Yeah, this was a great opportunity to roll this incredible masterpiece out again. A joy to see because the fur is perfect.

I think, if I recall correctly, that this fur was done the long hand way, rather than being an automatic fur setting on a tool. This was done by carefully looking at the fur on the original, and maybe adding a bit more clarity. It's a pleasurable but painstaking process and it paid off. Saphire's also been doing animal portraits for a while and has really taken it to a high level. And it's all the more remarkable because she has vision problems.

What you might want to get from her comment is that she blows up sections and draws in the fur. That isn't just because of her problems with her eyes, but it would also benefit anyone doing a rendering to take the original not as a whole, but in small parts where you can look at a detail almost as an abstract and really study it and copy that little bit.
    It is easier to see it and reproduce something photographically rendered that way.

You would do a segment close up, and then zoom out to see how each of the sections are working together on yours.
    It's an old rendering trick when we did exact renderings in class to take a white paper and cut out a little window and work your way around the pic.

Muralists and folks doing frescoes and all that, before technology did so much of this for us, would do their source drawings and overlay a grid on that, and then do a corresponding larger grid at the size they wanted to blow it up to because it was largely impossible to do it from the eye because your arms weren't that long that you could step back and see what they were painting. So we know it works.

And when you look at little segments you can see where bits and bobs go in a simplified way, which is also very handy. In the case of fur, you can see the direction it flows every inch of the way.

Hope this helps.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

On bigger drawings I zoom in and out a lot, and sometimes I draw them big then reduce them. My mom didn't name me GMS, incidentally, she named me George.
    Last edited by Gms9810; 09-04-2013 at 11:09 AM.