ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: .PSD files not loading correctly.

.PSD files not loading correctly.

I figured it would be nice to convert the hundreds of PDS files I have into a more useable format for art, since Photoshop is NOT an actual art program and simply an editing tool that has been over used as a cheap (If you can call it that at its cost) means to digital painting.

Quote:
    "Import and export Photoshop PSD format files, maintaining your Layer and Group structures, Text Layers and Blend Modes as you pass information between the two applications."

This is not the case, as I have seen, with testing after a dozen or so various PSD files, all of which contained layers. Some to which have NO editing to the layer design other than being another layer of paint. (I.E. they arent alpha channels, special effects, or edited)

So far as I see, all it does is flatten the image and all of the layers, and put it on a single layer in Art Rage 4. The whole intention upon purchasing Art Rage 4 in the first place was to continue painting on past works I had never finished in Photoshop. Am I doing something wrong? I looked through the forums and found no one asking anything regarding this. Im assuming the people that purchased Art Rage 4 did not try to import any PSD files or did not bother to tag their thread correctly.

Help please.

'Import Image to Layer' imports the PSD to a single layer, so it flattens the image. Use the 'Import Image' option in the File Menu to import the file with its layers intact, then save it using the Save option and you'll have a PTG.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Unhappy

What Im trying to say is; that either option will flatten the layer. I read the manual on the various types of importing. If youd like, I can post video of it up on YouTube so that you can see it does the exact same thing.
    watch?v=OUKMYochGlU&feature=youtube_gdata You will have to add the youtube dot com URL before the text jumble, since this site apparently has an issue with that being "spam".

It does -not- preserve the layers. (For me)

Now I am not saying that this is a common problem, I am simply stating that I do have an issue with it and would like to know how to fix it.

Explaining how it is supposed to be done normally is -not- going to assist me, so I would like to know if there is a fix or an alternate method to do this. Such as: Editing INI file, a manual converter program, another format I can change the .psd to another suffix, ect.

Im not asking for validation on if I am credible, but I have been working on PC's since they were public, monochromatic, and completely text based. In that time I have used Corel, Cad, Adobe, Maya, Silicon Graphics, ZBrush, Studio Max, and several dozen other paint programs. One of which even allowed me to paint online with other people in collaboration. I have not had difficulty importing anything any files of said programs that claim to convert PSD to their format save for this one.
    Last edited by DragonsGrin; 09-02-2013 at 10:23 PM.

We weren't questioning your credibility, no worries there. Could you send a sample PSD file that has the problem directly to me at matt@artrage.com and we can take a look to see if we can reproduce the problem here.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Well, the difficulty is that no one has an email that supports 45 meg files (I should say; "I dont") and that would likely be the smallest I have on hand.

The other problem is, is that I no longer own Photoshop since I have given over my copy to someone who now lives in Alaska, so I can not make a smaller file for you to see.

I have copies of all of my photoshop work from the past, and was looking forward to finishing that which could be done much better with a proper program such as Art Rage. Hence the whole reason I purchased it from Steam. At this point "Art Rage" is about what I am feeling after feeling like I have just tossed 50$ out the window.

Do you have another method such as private file hosting or an FTP/Torrent you wish me to use?

Also, it is not one file, as I may have mentioned, but ALL PSD files. Actually, all PSD files from CS6. Older PSD files work flawlessly. However, there in lay the problem, since most of my unfinnished work is CS6. There are various Photoshop versions to their first make, meaning I had one photoshop and bought upgrades for it over the years. Though it never had any integration problems with other programs file wise.
    Last edited by DragonsGrin; 09-03-2013 at 05:20 AM.

Files from CS6 are working without a problem here so I'm going to need to see one of the files you have that causes the issue. Send me an email (matt@artrage.com) and I will get you details for an FTP dropbox you can use to upload one.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Actually, change that. Ive been tooling around with the program some, and I rather enjoy it, to spite the problem. Its a GREAT program. Easy, fun, and the paint looks almost as good as Maya which is about 600$ more than Art Rage. You should be very proud of that.

I hope it isnt too late to cancel my refund.
    Last edited by DragonsGrin; 09-07-2013 at 07:00 AM.

I cant see a problem with transparency? Maybe you have exported with wrong .png options

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  236.1 KB

This is about the per channel colour depth of images rather than the number of channels. If the PSD file contains 16-bit RGB, that is 16 bits per Red, Green, and Blue channel, we can't import it fully so we fall back to importing the flat full image preview that the PSD stores. ArtRage supports 8-bit RGB channels only.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.