ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Heading South (update)

Heading South (update)

Oils a stencil and a Pinckney style sky.

Heh heh, Mr D Akey must have read my mind, I was worried about the sharpness of the birds and did play with adding blur but settled on adding noise. Ta Mr D Akey, I always value your opinions mate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	geese 1.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	407.6 KB 
ID:	76843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	geese 2.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	301.0 KB 
ID:	76844  
    Last edited by fraser_paice; 08-29-2013 at 09:15 PM.

You're really getting a handle on what you can do with this technique. The look is overall quite good.

I could well be wrong, but I would Step 1: duplicate the layer with the ducks or whatever those birds are, and step 2: blur the 'behind' layer of the two, Step 3: set that opacity to a small percentage to where we see a halo kind of effect. What that would do would be to keep the shapes of the birds sharp while giving it a little out of focus blur like a halo a little bit so that it matches the very soft environment you've created.

But heck, you're getting into Impressionist territory, at least in the end look if not the plein aire process itself. Very well done, my dear sir. Must be all the haggis you been eatin'.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Heading south? I wish I was.... I hate the cold and long Canadian winters.... at least we have hockey to get us over our winters...

Outstanding painting, love your style...

Thanks Ken, get some thick socks on mate.

The resolution is kinda low, mate, to see if the birds are softer focus. But I assume that's what you did. Since you're looking at the original, did the technique help when looking at the higher resolution version? From what I can see the values look better in the birds now -- a little softer, would you say?
    Last edited by D Akey; 09-03-2013 at 05:00 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

A lovely scene, Fraser

A lovely soothing scene Matey, well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307