ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How to make oil paint "dry"

How to make oil paint "dry"

In oil painting it is not uncommon to paint a layer, do some blending with the wet paint until satisfied, let it dry, paint another layer with blending, let it dry, and keep at this process until the painting is complete. I have just started using ArtRage 4 and can't seem to find a way to make the paint dry as described above. I suppose one could use the layer tool so that the layers of the painting would not interact with each other but this seems not a very intuitive approach.

Is there a way to paint with wet paint until satisfied, then "dry" that paint layer with some setting, and then add more wet paint on top?

I do oil paintings with multiple layers of thin transparent glazes and I would like to replicate the technique in ArtRage. I sometimes have as many an 50-100 layers of paint. It would be extreme to create a new layer in the program for each layer of glaze. I suppose I could paint each layer using the layer tool, merge them and keep going with more layers so that I didn't end up with multiple, multiple layers in the program. Any other suggestions?

Thanks much!

Marque Todd
    San Diego, CA
    TabascoCatArt.com

Hello and welcome mtoddsmedley!
    Yes it is possible to make the paint "dry" but you have to select that option before starting your paint stroke in the tool's settings panel. Turning the thinners setting up will also give the paint a more transparent look.
    However using layers can be a good option too, as you can alter how any given layer interacts with the ones below it by changing a layer's "Blend Mode". You can also change a layer's "Bump Blend Mode" which determines how the paint texture interacts between layers! Also change a layer's Opacity. And if all that weren't enough you can also turn a layer Off or remove it altogether if you later decide things would be better without it!
    So while AR can undoubtedly allow one to produce very "realistic" looking paintings as done with traditional media like oil paint, the actual methods used to get there may not always be the same as you would have used with real paint.
    The key will be experimentation and continue to ask questions here on the forum. Have fun!
    Name:  Screen Shot 2013-08-28 at 20.13.21.png
Views: 264
Size:  45.2 KB
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Thanks!

Lots of options to try!

I really wish there were some detailed training materials somewhere. I have looked through some of the "tutorials" on the AR site but they seem contain mimimum info or seem to assume a higher level of understanding than someone new to the program.

I am the type that really likes to understand everything I can do with a program like this (much like I wanted to understand what oils can really do and that's why I have taken several classes with master level oil painters). I understand that experimenting is key but as complex as this program is, I am sure there are multiple incredibly useful options that I will never "discovery" and that sort of bums me out.

I am sure I will have more questions so it is nice that this is an active, helpful forum!

Marque